1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

DR Down Tune Strings?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Hutzbordello, Aug 1, 2012.

1. I feel like these strings would work better than just buying a 5 string set, which seems barbaric. Circle K's pricing is a little high for me, so im hoping these work.

Has anyone tried these yet? Would I be able to tune to standard with them?

(did a search and i didnt see a thread about these pop up)

http://www.juststrings.com/drs-ddt-65.html

2. Sonic

Sonic Lord of the Grump

I've used them pretty extensively. They do what they say on the box. Not quite the sound quality you get with Hi beams or lo riders but definitely a good choice for detuned stuff.

3. SLaPiNFuNK

SLaPiNFuNK Commercial User

Jul 28, 2006
    LA California
    Owner: BassStringsOnline.com
    There are many threads about them.

You shouldn't have to buy 5 string sets and break them up to get a 4 string set...

4. JackTheRipper

JackTheRipper Supporting Member

Mar 5, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    I bought a single DR DDT .115" for drop D (DADG) tuning my Charvel 2B. As I was installing it, before I got it up to tension the string separated at the tuning peg. It was definitely not at tension yet.

I called DR today and the nice lady offered to send a DDT-55 set even though I just bought one string. Kudos for good customer service, we'll see if the new strings are any better.

DR_DDT_115.

--jack

5. mmbongo

mmbongo Dilly Dilly! Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    You probably need to string through body, looks like you were getting the outermost wrap going around the tuning post, which is why it broke.

6. mmbongo

mmbongo Dilly Dilly! Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Bass Strings Online has a much better price on the strings, and their shipping is cheaper...AND faster!

https://bassstringsonline.3dcartstores.com/DDT--Drop-Down-Tuning_c_35.html

You'll get an even better price once you register on his site and tell him your TalkBass username so you can get the VIP pricing.

7. hm, i may try these after a little more research, thanks for the info so far guys!!

aside from the string snapping issues my only other question is whether i would be able to tune to standard with these on? my guitarist told me " If we were to do drop b, then it would be C# standard (C#F#B#E) if we do Drop Bb, the standard would be C standard like The Sword (CFBbEb)"

does that make sense? I wouldnt want to warp my neck too bad by tuning up, but its the tuning i play most when im just by myself

8. hm, so would there be any tuning i could use that would work with songs recorded in standard?

9. SLaPiNFuNK

Jul 28, 2006
    LA California
    The 65-125 set you do not want to tune E Standard.

They are basically for down to ADGC and up to DGCF at highest but that would be pushing it.

Only time the snapping issue may come up is if the full windings wrap around the tuning post and not having as many wraps as possible around the posts.

DDTs are available as singles for alternate tunings.

10. slapinfunk, do you know which tunings the other sets are intended for?

11. SLaPiNFuNK

Jul 28, 2006
    LA California
    there is no specified tuning for any set...

The best thing to do is ask what set will be best for your specific tuning. Post your desired tuning in this thread or shoot me an email.

On a gig (tuned Eb standard tonight by the way Hehe), so may take me a bit to reply.

12. haha hope that tuning worked out well

i think the lowest would be B or Bb so.......yea I guess that would be the lowest

13. SLaPiNFuNK

Jul 28, 2006
    LA California
    Was not using ddt on this gig :-(

B or Bb then the 65-125 set will be perfect for you.

14. hmmmmmmmmmm then i would have to commit my only bass to being drop tuned right? im p sure i wouldnt be able to tune to E standard with those strings though

let me know if im wrong

also these strings are stainless steel right?

thanks for all the info ^__^

15. JackTheRipper

JackTheRipper Supporting Member

Mar 5, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    Ah, I get what you're saying but string through body is not an option on the Charvel 2B bass.

Thanks, I guess these strings aren't going to work on my 2B. There is very little distance between the nut and the first tuning peg on the Charvel 2B.

--jack

16. SLaPiNFuNK

Jul 28, 2006
    LA California
    Well, what is the overall distance from the Ball End to the tuning post?

If you want something that may work tuning from B and E standard, you can try the DDT-55 set which is .055 .075 .095 .115... When tuned to B it may be a bit on the lower tension side, but it can do the trick...

17. thanks! ill def look into that then

^___^