Dr Dre/"good" rap producers

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by JP Bassman, Apr 16, 2002.

1. JP Bassman

JP Bassman

Jun 18, 2001
    Ok, now i dont like very much rap, but I LOVE Dr Dre/Snoop Dogg and their beats! Seriously I think Dre is at the point where I can seriously consider him a musician, and not jsut a typical beat-stealer. He's awesome!! Anybody else have any opinions?
  2. bassandlax

Dec 31, 2001
    Raleigh, NC
    one of the only rap songs that i really think could qualify as music: nate dog + warren g "regulators"

that song has an infectious groove, and they are two super smooth rappers

3. JP Bassman

JP Bassman

Jun 18, 2001

i love most chronic and chronic 2001 songs
  4. "Regulate" is sampled from "I Keep Forgettin'" by Michael McDonald.

That said, Dr. Dre is a badass producer. Even if most of his bass is programmed, it's still inspiring.
  5. 6-stringer

6-stringer Guest

Feb 5, 2000
    You want to hear some stuff that will blow your mind? Check out some Rasell. True talent in hip hop.
    The guy comes out on stage with one mic. He can rap, beatbox, sing, and scratch all at the same time. WITH JUST HIS MOUTH! And, it's bad-ass. You'll have no idea your not hearing a conventional MC-DJ-drum machine configuration. Check it out.
  6. The Roots, true rappers/musicians.
  7. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    I LOVE rap, and I'd have to say..though dre makes some good beats, there are many others out there that have so much more flavor
    like Domino(from Hieroglyphics i.e Del tha funkee homosapien)
    Dan The Automator("we're not worthy! we're not worthy)
    Prince Paul
    Dj Premier and Babu
    all make totally super beats.
    the reason I'm not to fond of snoop dogg anymore is because his vocals and lyrics are weak as all hell, similar with dre...its good for a laugh, but I don't relaly take either of them seriously

the roots are in a whole other school, I love it, organic hip-hop...and their vocals are good too.

another group with really good beats are the beatnuts
    and jurassic 5 have some good beats too.
  8. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    yup...couldn't have said it better myself....except its rahzel :) but yea he's nutty.
  9. JP Bassman

JP Bassman

Jun 18, 2001
    it doesnt matter to be his basses are programmed - they still f-ing rock!!
  10. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    squarepusher, who is a totally awesome bassist, does both live bass and synth bass in his recordings...and either way it still sounds very good.

Dre actually has quite a bit of live bass...at least in chronic 2001 he did, and I think for some of xzibits album as well..I remember reading credits for it and it mentioned a bassist that played on almost all the tracks.
  11. That's one of the more inspiring trends of recent years--the return of live instrumentation to "urban" (read: black) popular music. I think everybody got sick of lame-ass New Jack R&B production about 5 years ago.
  12. JP Bassman

JP Bassman

Jun 18, 2001
    that is pretty awesome

live bassists rock - especially when in the hands of the D-R-E, word :p
  13. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    dj quick has some funky azz albums as well
  14. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest