Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

DR Fat Beam or D'addario XL ProSteel

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Mukaiya, Oct 5, 2005.

1. Mukaiya

Mukaiya

Aug 10, 2005
    Any one use the DR Fat Beam or D'addario XL ProSteel 5-string set before?

I like to know if these come with tapered core and if yes, which string/s?

Thanks.

Mukaiya

2. I use the Marcus Miller Fat Beams 45-105, they are the best strings I've heard for the tone I want. Low growl and punch with mid definition and highs rolled off.
    :cool:

3. I've used the 4 and 5 string sets of the DR Fats, I love them...They're durable, and they sound awesome..Every set of the ProSteels I've tried had a bed feel to me...I couldn't play them...Somethin about them just didn't "click" like the Fats do...

4. FunkSlap89

FunkSlap89

Apr 26, 2005
    Albany, NY
    Fat Beams get my vote as well! :bassist:

5. I've used both in 4 string. The Fat Beams are awesome. Their tone is similar to the steel Lo Riders but they are looser in feel because of the roundcore. D'Addarios are pieces of ****. I've said tons about this already so I won't go into it. DRs make the best roundwounds anyway.

6. Blues Cat

Blues Cat Supporting Member

May 28, 2005
    Katy, Tx
    I went from Fat Beams to Prosteels & like the PS better. The tension is better on the Prosteels. My fretless has had them on for four months & are still alive & kickin.

7. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    Count another vote for ProSteels. Granted, strings may be the hardest part of the "personal tone" equation simply due to the vast amounts, but ProSteels were the answer to mine.

8. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Fat Beams have been my preferred strings on several main basses for about a year now. They're effortless less to play and the sound just jumps off the fretboard.

9. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    Fat Beems are nice. Prosteels, on the other hand, are probably the worst sounding strings I've ever used. Bottom heavy, no mids, no highs, just MUD.

10. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    Pro steels seem to work for some people, I'm not a big fan. They are high tension and extremely magnetic for their guage. The .135 B was unusable on my Sadowsky (whose pickups have a lot of pull), but OK on Zon. The DR is a much better string set IMHO.

As fas as I know, neither is taperwound. I've tried the taperwound DR B, and I prefer the standard string for tone and depth. The taperwound string intonates slightly better.

11. GSPLBASSDC

GSPLBASSDC

Jan 25, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    I'm currently using lo-riders and I love 'em, but when I replace 'em, I going with the "Fatties".....a Marcus Miller sig string just to check out the tonal differences. Of all the strings I've used, DR's are the best, IMO

12. spent years on lo - riders and eventually found that something was missing. btw I play a stingray - changed back to ernie balls a little while ago and the funk is back - got the meat in the middle, the uuuuugh in the bass and the right amount of treble. I can't believe that I was about to sell this bass because I was not happy with the sound!

13. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    If you're looking for meat in the middle, check out the Fat Beams. I'm a tone fanatic and above all else I want my basses to sound 3D. The FBs are extremely responsive.

14. Blues Cat

May 28, 2005
    Katy, Tx
    I would probably like the FatBeams on a 35" scale. The tapered B on the custom set of FatBeams that I ordered was impossible to intonate. The tuner would give one reading & my ear would say that's way off. I ended up tuning the Bstring by ear every time. The taper went out to far over the bridge pickup. The Prosteels fit perfectly in my piezo saddles w/the 1st part of the taper resting perfectly on it.

15. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    My FB B strings aren't tapered.

16. Blues Cat

May 28, 2005
    Katy, Tx
    Custom ordered FatBeams w/tapered B thru Glen @ ABT. Still have 1 more sealed set w/hand written "taper B" from the factory.

17. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    I've got a funny feeling your taper B is a longneck Hi Beam, since that seems to be the only tapercore they make. I didn't care for the longneck B. :scowl: I hope I'm wrong about that.

18. mjw

mjw

Jun 12, 2001
    Spring, TX USA
    BluesCat..... You have mail....