1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

DR Fat or Hi... maybe Sadowsky Blue SS?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by xsubs, Sep 22, 2008.

1. xsubs

xsubs Working Class Hero Supporting Member

Jul 15, 2007
    NYC & Corcaigh, √Čire
    Endorsing Artist: Hiwatt Amplification & Rotosound Strings

2. I've used DR Hi-Beams and really like them. Clear tone, flexable response but still tight enough to pick, and growl nicely when you dig.

3. +1

used to use the lo-beams, liked them a lot. now using hi-beams and i love them. smilier feel under the fingers to the roto's IMO.

4. Alaska Bass

Alaska Bass

Dec 31, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    +1

Hi-Beam's all the way. Nothing like them for tone, clarity, and longevity.

5. pickles

pickles Gold Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    Hi beams would be my first pick, but they are very similar to swing bass 66 ... what are you looking for in terms of a difference?

6. CElton

CElton I'm a new note finder...

You pretty much just described Hi-Beams. Very nice string. Worth a look for sure.

7. xshawnxearthx

xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    hi beams are what you want.

8. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Gold Supporting Member

I highly recommend Sadowsky Blue Labels. Both the steels and nickels are bright and have low tension.

9. I currently have Sadowsky Blue Stainless on one of my Sadowsky's, and DR Hi Beams on everything else. They are both great, and really different sounding and feeling.

The Sadowsky Blues have a stiffer feel and a tighter tension, and have MUCH more upper mids in their voicing. They sound GREAT with traditional single coil pickups, and give you an aggressive, grindy, but very articulate tone.

The DR Hi Beams (my all time favorite strings) have a somewhat 'loose' feel to them, and have the sweetest, purest top end I've ever heard, combined with very even lows, low mids and mid mids, and actually to my ear, a slight drop in the upper mids. That gives these strings a very 'pop/funk' sort of voicing... GREAT for slap style playing and for very 'clean' articulate tone. They keep their brightness a LONG time (the Sadowsky Blues get a little ugly sounding to me after a while, like other strings with that strong upper mid content, like the Lakland steels). Also, the Hi Beams are the 'smoothest' feeling SS strings I've experienced... they feel more like Nickels (I assume due to the round core).

Very different sounding strings, and I like them both for what they are.

10. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    I agree 100% with this post.

11. Hey Tony. Since we use a lot of the same stuff, I hear the Hi Beams really matching that Epifani UL voicing (wide, pure, clean, airy top end, somewhat mid polite), whereas the Blue Steel Sadowsky's remind me of the Berg AE410 (punchy, a bit raw, grindy, growly, and a more upper mid brightness than a pure treble sparkle).

Both are just great (the cabs too!), and IMO the 'top of their class' depending what kind of tone the OP is looking for.

12. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    While I agree with the description you give here, it would be my preference to swap the two. Epifani cabs with DR high beams sound great, but might be too much of a good thing depending on the bass if you get what I'm saying. Same goes for the Berg AE cabs and Sadowsky Blue Labels. With the big, wide UL cabs, I would want to maybe tame that a bit with the Sadowsky strings. Whereas the AE cabs are so tight and punchy, it might make the best use of the DR Hi Beams when it comes to the context of how they sound in the mix.

13. Good point, and it all depends what you want. I've been using the Sadowsky Blue SS with the ash/maple SAdowsky with single coils, the MB F1, and the AE410 lately, and it's so articulate along with some grind in the upper mids that it will scare you.

I had that rig over at a buddy's house in St. Louis a few weeks ago, and we A/B'd it to his 410UL/EdenWT800 with a few different basses (Sadowsky and Fodera's). When he played the combination I mentioned above, all he said was 'you sure can hear the windings on those strings with that rig and bass':bassist: I just love it!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry to the OP for the OT:)

14. Ken, I'm curious....will you install Hi-Beams when you're done with the Sadowsky Blues?

15. Hey Dwight!

I'm sticking with the Hi Beams on the RV, but am going to stick with the Blue's on the MV. It really takes that bass to a very aggressive, grindy place, versus the smoother vibe of the RV. I bought a bunch of Blue sets from Roger, so I'm in for a year or so. Then, I'll decide.

I still prefer the Hi Beams, and if I only played one bass, Sadowsky or not, it would have Hi Beams for my tone goals. But, that solid ash MV5 with the AE and F1 with the Blues is so grindy that it makes me a bit giddy! I hope you get to check it out sometime.

16. Thanks Ken! I'm looking forward to checking it out!

I'm also debating whether I should try the Sadowsky Blue SS's or just stick with my old favorite Hi Beams. I experimented pretty extensively with different strings a few years back and decided that nothing sounds as good as HB's. I guess trying something different now wouldn't hurt.

17. babaseen

babaseen The BJFE Blueberry for sale Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2001
    Boston, MA
    This post has convinced me that I must try the Sadowsky Blue Labels...THANKS!