Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

DR Fat/Sun Beams and 35" scale

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Funkateer, Oct 9, 2002.

1. Funkateer

Funkateer

Jul 5, 2002
    Los Gatos, CA
    Have not been able to get an email back from DR, and the local stores are clueless. Can I use DR Fat Beam or Sun Beam strings on my 35" scale 5 string electric bass?

2. Deep

Deep

May 8, 2002
    NY
    Yes, you can. I use them on my 35" scales with no problem. They fit perfectly.

3. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Yeah, DR's are extra long and no prob on 35's at all.

4. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Just for even more reassurance - I've used a couple sets of "Marcus" (a.k.a. "Fat Beams"). As with any DR strings I've used, they give you plenty of length.

Even on a 35" scale, with a 3 + 2 headstock on a 5-string , I'm cutting off the excess. (I never tried Sunbeams).

5. IIRC, somewhere I read the playable length of a DR HiBeam is 37" - I can't imagine the FatBeams would be too different.

6. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    I have a set of Fat Beams on my Peavey Cirrus right now (35" scale). Plenty of excess string, I am sure they would work even on a 36" scale bass.

7. DR's website says that "DR H-Beams fit virtually all scale lengths up to 37 3/4"

I have Sunbeams on my bass, I do not cut my strings at all... look how purdy!

[​IMG]

I can't see why 35" and 36" scale length basses wouldn't be able to use Low riders/High-Fat-Sunbeams or any of the DR string lineup IMO. :smug:

I had Low riders on my bass, then I strung up a set of sunbeams and I love them... they have the course feel of the nickel low riders but they are taught and bouncy and responsive like the high/fat beams are, but have the mellowness of a nickel string. I played a single harmonic last night and I kid you not that note rang out for over 45 seconds, I could never get that out of other strings I have tried... I am loving it! :D

Peace,