1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

DR Fatbeams on my MTD 535?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Sean Baumann, Oct 22, 2006.

1. What do you all think, would it work out? I like the MTD zing, but I seem to kill them VERY fast.... like one gig. Looking for something with similar tone, deep lows, growly, biting, and some zing, but also with a bit longer life.

2. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    DR Strings
    Don't know. I use Sunbeams on my Wenge-necked 635, Fat Beams on all of my Brubakers except for the fretless five (Ken Smith Burner NPS nickel rounds).

I really like the Fat Beams on my Brubakers. They last a long time but my hands stay bone dry too.

3. whaaa I'm cursed with sweaty palms. What made you pick the Sunbeams over the hibeams or fatbeams for your wenge neck delight? Do the standard length fit alright? You using a tapered B or solid B?

You played my bass, which strings would work best? I raised the pickups and turned the pre-amp up a bit. Last step is to get some fresh strings.

4. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    DR Strings
    My 635 is Ash with Wenge... no need for stainless steel strings adding any zing to this puppy;). The Sunbeams seem to be a nice match, they give it a very balanced sound. Chords sound great, the lows are there, plenty of growl, etc.

Heck, I'd give the Fat Beams a try on yours. Of course experimenting with bass strings is pretty expensive, thaqt's about the only downside I can foresee. Might be a nice match. If you're keeping the action low I'd go with the .045 on top, .125 B string.

Standard length is fine.

I never use tapered strings anymore, not for a very long time. Never saw any benefit.

When I was younger I seem to remember my hands sweating at least on ocassion. It seems like once I really got comfortable with my playing, they stayed dry. Maybe it's a coincidence, maybe the invisible callouses I must have made an effect on it, I don't know.

5. Its not just when I'm playing, so it isn't "nerves" :) Well, I guess it is nerves, but not the kind you were talking about! heh. Though, I wish it was, as I am much more comfortable and confident these days. Thanks for the advice! Fat beams are pretty much the same price as the MTD strings, so no huge loss if they don't work out.

6. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    DR Strings
    Cool... let me know how it works out.

7. Well, I couldn't find the fatbeams local so I just went with hibeams for now. At least I can get used to the feel. I thought they would be way too flexible, but they seem just right. The shop had sunbeams, but they had them marked $40!

So far so good, but I had to do major intonation changes due to the non-tapper B. Seems pretty darn solid though.

Hey Brad, how about you help me work out the setup on my bass? I'll buy you a <insert your favorite drink here>!