DR Fatbeams or Low Riders

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by fastplant, Jan 17, 2003.

1. fastplant

Sep 26, 2002
    I've been playing DR High Beams for some time, mainly because they last so long. My question is that I want something that's not so..... high pitched, I guess is what I'm trying to say. I want something with a little more hit you in the gut sound. I haven't tried either the Fat Beams or the Low Riders, and I want to know 1.) What lasts longer and will there be a big decrease in length of life, and 2.) which one will give me a more funky bottom sound. Keep in mind I'm in a cover band and I need some versatility too. I'm asking alot I know, so sorry for the long post.
  2. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Based on my experience, the "Marcus" (aka, Fat Beams) have more funk in terms of old skool-Motown funk. Yet they are very respectable slap strings (see my review of them in the TB "Reviews" if you care to). They have more mids than the Lo Riders, hence, more warmth to my ears.

I've used Lo Riders too, (one bass is on its second set of them now). IMO, they're more "scooped" sounding as in - less mids. They can produce more "rock" tones, IMO. But once they start to die, I'll go back to the Marcus.....just a personal preference for "fat"

As far as longetivity, that's really up to you, (e.g. cleansing your hands before playing, wiping down the strings religously, body chemistry, et al). IME, all DR's have great string life.
  3. I agree with Rick on FatBeams being more warm in tone, but I think Lo-riders will give you more thumping lows that'll help bring out 16th's notes if thats your thing.
  4. fastplant

Sep 26, 2002
    Cool, thanks, I think I'll check out both actually. but it sounds like the fat beams are my first choice.
  5. Hi Fastplant,

you may also want to check the LoRider Nickel. They are warmer than the regular stainless yet are very punchy.
  6. I've been through both of those.....and both of them have their pro's and con's...........

I'd personally tell you to check both of them out....but I know that'll cost more time and money.

I thought the Lo Riders sounded really punchy and great for slapping as well as plucking.....but they were mean to my fingers....tearing my callouses if I slid around the strings.They lasted me a little more than a month before I noticed that the G string sounded off....and a bit more dead than the other strings......so I asked my friend who was using Lo Riders the same time period as I was....and he said the same thing happened to him.

As for the Fat beams......I loved them..they were the type of string that would literally grow on you. They felt nice and smooth....and sounded great. They had a fat rich sound that went well. Considering I like having low mids...these strings got in the way that considering that they have a lot of mids. All in all though....they were very good strings.

Out of the two of them.....I'd say go for the fat beams...they felt nice...and holy sh!t did they retain a nice sound.....
  7. bentem

Oct 18, 2002
    Rockville, MD
    I use high beams too, and was thinking about switching to fatbeams or low riders, and i think i might try the fat beams now, but whats the gauge of those?
  9. one word: FATBEAMS! Ive tried both sets and I found the Fatties to be very versatile and have the richest, deepest tone ive heard in any strings, and there great slapping strings too (Well they are Marcus Miller made) So I'd definately go with the Fatbeams