1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

DR Fatbeams vs. DR HI-Beams

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by guymanndude1, Feb 14, 2013.

1. guymanndude1

guymanndude1

Feb 5, 2004
    I just got several sets from Amazon, they were on sale. I use Hi-Beams, the package info seems similar, the string gauge are identical. Is there a real difference, or marketing?

2. Looking forward to this discussion...

3. Hi Beams have a big bottom, somewhat scooped upper mids and nice presence in the lower treble.

Fat Beams have more low-mid thickness. Not as bright in the treble region, but more midrange definition overall.

Similar feel to both strings - tone difference is real, not marketing.

4. Sounds like a good experiment. E & G hi beams and A & D fat beams. Wonder how that would sound?

5. That about sums it up. The Fat Beams are just what the name suggests... a bit more meat in the lower midrange, which results in less apparent treble extension. More similar than different though. I prefer the snap of the Hi Beams, but depending on bass, playing style, etc., if you like the slinky feel of the Hi Beams, but want a bit more meat down low and a bit less sizzle, the Fat Beams are cool!

6. vernhillbass

vernhillbass

May 11, 2012
    Missouri
    I use both and hear very little difference. I'm sure there is something different or they would not market then separately. I have a pair of Fat's I left on my Jazz for 18 months and they sound absolutely amazing. I keep these for recording. The Fats are usually about $3 less which is why I buy them.

7. LaBassGuy

LaBassGuy Supporting Member

Aug 26, 2008
    Yup, Fat Beams are just chunkier. I like Hi Beams better myself. The Fat Beams sometimes can sound bit boomy to me, at least on my basses I've tried.

8. nukes_da_bass

nukes_da_bass Banned

Feb 19, 2006
    west suburban boston
    I tried the fat beams twice. the first time, the D string was dead. The second time, I noticed a slight bow on the B string side of my neck. Totally unacceptable-I put highbeams on today - bow gone, gonna throw the Fat Beams on one of my cheapie basses. Same gauge different tension obviously!

9. very slight in tension - nothing a slight truss-rod adjustment wouldn't fix

10. Um... unbalanced. *scratches head*

11. petrus61

petrus61 Supporting Member

Not trying to be an a$$, but wouldn't a bow on the B string side and not the other constitute a neck twist?

12. nukes_da_bass

nukes_da_bass Banned

Feb 19, 2006
    west suburban boston
    I do fear this yes... Gonna have a tech look at it soon. I'm probably bring anal because I see the slight twist when I
    Look down the B side... It really bums me out because I love the neck it's a five string Jazz neck that was custom-made and I think it has 17 1/2 mm spacing-going to be hard to replace!

13. king_biscuit

king_biscuit Supporting Member

May 21, 2006
    US
  14. guymanndude1

guymanndude1

Feb 5, 2004
    Thanks for the replies, I was kind of wondering about the difference. I love me some Dr's. Unrelated observation about the dead string reference, did anyone notice that DR says that there is a crimp point at the last part of the string? If you have to cut, anywhere under that point, you should bend the string with pliers at a hard angle with the part that goes down into the tuner. This is supposed to help prevent dead strings.

15. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    Since you're asking about strings, wouldn't it have made more sense to post this thread in the "Strings" forum, rather than in the "Basses" forum? :eyebrow:

Secondly, you just got several sets of what from Amazon? From the implication of your OP, it seems that you must have bought some FatBeams...but you didn't actually state that.

That said, both Hi-Beams and FatBeams are great strings, but there are some subtle differences - pretty much as Modern Growl has stated them. Personally, I find both models to have good, solid lows. Main difference is in the character of the mids & highs. But again, those differences are somewhat subtle. :meh:

MM

16. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    Actually, no.

If I understand you clearly, crimping the string below the cut point is actually to prevent unraveling of the outer wrap - and it applies only to strings with a round core wire - such as the Hi-Beams & FatBeams... :eyebrow:

MM

17. manintanvan

manintanvan

Jan 22, 2013
    I put some FBs on my Warwick a few days ago. I like them a lot. Before I had a pair of slinky cobalt. They were ok, they got dirty very fast though.

18. Epitaph04

Epitaph04 Always overcompensating Supporting Member

Jul 5, 2010
    SoCal
    So where do sun beams fall in all of this?

19. Sunbeams, my dear bassist, are God's gift to the bass world! I have them on my fretted and fretless basses. They are nickel equivalents to the stainless steel Hi-beams. To my ear they give a full spectrum of tones , whereas the Hi-beams are a bit scooped.

All IMHO so hopefully no-one is offended!

Davo

20. +1 in that these unusual strings (Hi Beam, Sun Beam and Fat Beam all have round cores) all have a unique feel and a 'smilar tone' with nice variation across the line. Something for everyone in that unique family of round core roundwounds. Not many strings of that design on the market that I know of, and they are quite different from the more typical hex core roundwound. The round core strings are smoother feeling, lower feeling tension, and all three have a very 'sweet' upper treble response that is, to my ear, best described as 'sweet and open' versus grindy and aggressive (like the Lo Riders, for example, within the DR family).