Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

DR Fatbeams

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by FunkySpoo, Dec 16, 2002.

1. FunkySpoo

FunkySpoo Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2002
    Just put a set of these on my SR5
    Daddy like :D
    What do you guys think of them

2. Great strings I think. Sounds good on my Stingray too :D

I like that they have more midrange than the hi-beams and are a little more mellow in the high-end. Even though they're stainless steel strings they remind me of Slowounds, just tighter in the low-freq's and a little more bite.

3. SoyBase

SoyBase

Jul 1, 2001
    Atlanta, Ga
    Those are all I use on my SR5, until I tried the Sunbeams...now I switch back and forth..DR on a SR are a great match..like peas and carrots..

Tommy

4. secretdonkey

secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Love 'em so far - I think this is my new string! I think I may put all my recent string observations in a separate post, including these...

5. FunkySpoo

FunkySpoo Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2002
    I used them for the first time with the band last night at practice. They are so far the best strings I've used. Granted I haven't tried T.I.'s yet, I hear they're great. But these Fat Beams were deep punchy and smooth. I used to use the high beams but stopped using them because they were inconsistant. I hope this won't be the case with these. Only time will tell.

6. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    I have a set of lo riders and a set of fat beams that I switch back and forth on my DP Custom. I soak them in alcohol for a couple hours whenever they get dull sounding. IMO, the fatbeams are brighter, smoother, and just sound better to me. The loriders have more of a low mid thing going on and do seem to keep their tone longer. You can't really go wrong with DR's though.

7. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    Hi!

DR's are great. I don't think you can wrong with any of these sets. I haven't tried the fatbeams. I'm going to get a set soon. I usually use hi beams but I'm getting to like the lo riders better:)

Rob

8. MrBungle3

MrBungle3

May 16, 2002
    Dallas
    DRs are the best, cant go wrong with them. I have only tried the lo-riders, and the high beams--lo-riders being my personal favorite. I will check out the fatbeams next time, give them a try.

9. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    I've been using Fat Beams on my Cirrus 5 for a while now. Really liking em.

10. That does it!! I've been thinking of putting some DR's on my Cirrus 4, and now I'm going to.

11. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    How's slapping and tension with Fatbeams?

Not that the tension would matter otherwise - I play mainly Roto Jazz's - but slapping might be easier with low tension strings. Marcus is known of his slap so they can't be that bad, but what do you think?

12. I'm not a great slapper, but they certainly are stiffer than hi-beams. I've read somewhere that MM liked them because they felt tighter when he plays near the fingerboard. I personally like the feel of hi-beams better.