1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

DR Flatwounds vs D'Addario Chromes

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Boulder119, Apr 24, 2015.

1. Boulder119

Boulder119

Apr 6, 2015
    I'm going to go buy some new strings. I just got my first bass (MIM P-bass) and it came with some roundwounds that I really hate. So please, give me your opinions on the D'Addario Chrome Flats and the DR Legend Flats.

2. Boulder119

Boulder119

Apr 6, 2015
    Please, does anybody know anything about these strings?

3. Tad

Tad

Dec 10, 2007
    Boise, Idaho
    I have Legends on my '51 P RI and on my Squier VM PJ. They sound really good on both of those basses and play really well. I like 'em. They sound like flats on a P, just like what I was looking for.

I have Chromes Lights on my VM Fretless Jazz. I like them, too, on that bass. They are brighter and not as thumpy as the Legends. I like the way they feel and play also. I tried a set of them out because everyone was out of Legends around here.

4. Camaro

Camaro

Sep 25, 2013
    Germany, NRW
    They are TOTALLY on the opposite site of the tonal spectrum that flats have.
    Legends are amongst the darker Flats (similar to LaBellas and GHS), Chromes are the brightest.

A fellow Forum member has done a Video review of the DR Flats.
    DR Legends | TalkBass.com

shawshank72 and Tad like this.
  5. Boulder119

Boulder119

Apr 6, 2015
    I decided on the DR's. I just love the feel and tone.

6. Yahboy

Yahboy

May 21, 2008
    Own ECB 81 chrome more than 2 years, take long time break-in to get right flatwound sound, finally i get quite nice sound with A & G , BUT E string totally dull , G still happy zingy, Both string sound different than A & G string.

If you prefer the flat with little Ommp & Lo-mid present, try a cheap 9050L. Play alone ,it sound seem lack focus, BUT it sound nice in MIX.
    If you wanna get a Short-time Broke-In flat sound, get Labella 760FL.

If you slapping night and day, OFCOURSE don't go wrong with CHROME!!!

The Tension & stiff from high to low Chrome > 760FL > 9050L

7. Stan_da_man

Stan_da_man

Aug 29, 2006
    UK
    Giving this thread a bump - I have Chromes on one of my basses atm. Love the smooth, glassy feel they have took on but after months of playing have yet to achieve that thud I'm after. These DR flats sound what I'm looking for straight out the pack. Are they tension/flex wise similar to Chromes? Or more like Sunbeams?

PawleeP likes this.