1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

DR Flatwounds?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by dela217, Jul 18, 2007.

1. dela217

dela217

Mar 2, 2006
    New Orleans, La
    I use both flat and round wound strings on my basses. I am curious about the DR flats. Can someone here describe the way they feel? I woiuld like something with less tension than the D'Addario Chromes, but not too loose like TI flats. I have heard that the DR flats are like the high beams, but flat. Anyone use these yet?
    Michael

2. bdeaux

bdeaux Bass, the final frontier! Supporting Member

Jun 13, 2002
    Salt Lake City based
    Branden Campbell
    I haven't tried the DR flats but I want to. I am however using the Pyramid flats and love them. They are pricey @ $45 a set, but they feel like nothing else. And the tension is a bit tighter than the TI's, but not too tight.

3. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

That's what you'll get.

That was what I was looking for after trying TI Flats and Chromes. I went to DR Flats next, and I found what I was looking for. They are between Chromes and TIs in tension/floppiness, but are closer to the Chromes higher-tension. The DR Flats are also very smooth feeling to the touch; they have the same smooth feel as my upright's strings. Excellent physical quality as well as lots of ability for playing harmonics other than the 4th, 5th, 7th, 9th and 12th fret.

4. saxnbass

saxnbass

Mar 9, 2006
    Nashville, TN
    What about the sound? I have a fretless and want to put flats on it. I'll put Chromes on it temporarily, but am thinking about DR Flats or Rotosound Flats.

5. FidgetStone

FidgetStone

Jun 30, 2002
    Allen, TX
    I second saxnbass's request for information on how DR flats sound on a fretless. Getting the strong fundamental of traditional flats without giving up too much "mwah" is my dream.

6. mellobud

mellobud

May 17, 2007
    I do love my Rotosound flats...Thump and Some Growl. I really like the way the lower notes sound on these. they dont have the smoothest (feeling-wise) E string though...but it has the best growl Ive heard on flats so far.

7. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

TI's have lots of Mwah, but DRs are close behind.

8. How do DR flats compare to La Bellas?

9. CrimsonGhost

CrimsonGhost

Nov 14, 2000
    anyone gone from rotos to these? how different are they ?
    Brighter or darker then roto flats?

thanks for your help!

10. JohnThomasson

JohnThomasson Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2003
    Nashville, TN
    Endorsing Artist: Fender, Supro, Mesa Boogie, DR Strings, Source Audio, Pigtronix, & Fishman
    I have them on my CS jazz bass right now. Like he said, they are lower in tension than Sadowsky's but not as low as the TIs. It took my E string a couple of days to break in. It was a little too dead at first, but it sounds good now. These strings are smooth. So much so that you really can't see the windings without really looking closely at them.

I'm going to try them on a gig and possibly on another bass, but I think I like the Sadowsky flats better. I've just been using them at home in my studio.

11. LilRay

LilRay Commercial User

Dec 27, 2007
    Between my Roscoe and Leather
    Owner: Cockeyed Cow Custom Leathercraft
    I need a set of flats for my string through body only Jazz, has anyone used the DR set on one of these?

Thanks for any help R.

12. mikeswals

mikeswals Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    That's odd. Right now I have both a J and a P strung with Sadowsky flats, and a second P still strung with DR flats (even though I didn't like them, but I'm too cheap to take them off because I hardly play that bass anyway), and the DR's are way stiffer than the Sadowskys.

13. How do they compare to La Bella flats?

14. mikeswals

mikeswals Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    In my experience, the DR's are kinda close up there in tension as LaBellas.
    They've been on that one P since sept/oct of last year, so they've had plenty of time to break in. But evey time I picked up that bass the strings seemed so stiff.

15. Sparkdog

Sparkdog Supporting Member

Sep 18, 2006
    Burbank, CA
    I just tried a set of DR flats on my 5 string Jazz.

Tension is less than Sadowskys or Chromes (or at least it felt that way to me) but more than TI's (pretty much everything is).

They are very old school sounding, i.e. DEAD. They do have thump to them in the way that LaBellas do, but without the definition and articulation the LaBellas have.

Long story short, I was not at all impressed, there was nothing special about them at all. I only had them on for an hour because I disliked them so much, so I can't comment on what they might sound like with some miles on them.

I keep trying different flats, always end up going back to the Chromes. Best flats out there IME for consistency and good meaty tone without too much tension.

Great B string too, something I haven't found in any other set of flats so far.

16. selfblessed

selfblessed

Dec 29, 2006
    Phoenix, AZ
    Where are you getting the DR Flats?

They don't have them at any of the online stores that I can think of and checked.

I really want to throw these on my fretless and my bullet bass.

I can't find them in town here in Phoenix either.

:help::help::help:

17. RobBobBass

RobBobBass

Jul 14, 2008
    Annapolis, MD
    I just bought a brand new set on E-Bay for 15$ Delivered, figured they were worth trying for that price. They should arrive today or tomorrow. I'll let you know what I think.

18. LilRay

LilRay Commercial User

Dec 27, 2007
    Between my Roscoe and Leather
    Owner: Cockeyed Cow Custom Leathercraft

Got a link or an item number?

Everywhere I have seen them they are close to $40.

19. RobBobBass

RobBobBass

Jul 14, 2008
    Annapolis, MD
    My mistake, these particular strings were nickel low riders, still a great deal. They came yesterday in the original sealed package.

EBay item # 140253482428