Dr. Fong Speaker Works recollections

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Michael Vee, May 7, 2005.

1. A few months ago, somebody mentioned Dr. Fong cabs in a post, and I thought it'd be fun to start a thread about them. The idea is to see who all remembers these cabs or owned them.

As best as I recall, they were advertised in Bass Player magazine back in the early 90's. I think the shop was in Knightsville, Indiana. The cabs had to be ordered direct from Dr. Fong. They were mostly standard Electro-voice Thiele-Small designs, the ones in the EV technical papers.

At the time, I was doing a loud bi-amp setup. I already had a locally made 18" EV cab and wanted a compact 12". So I ordered the Dr. Fong 1x12, which was a very small TL guitar cabinet.

It had a slot port divided into three sections, and came with a screw-on port cover that covered the center section of the port, to change the tuning as desired. The cab had an Electro-voice EVM-12. It didn't go very low, probably no more than 70 Hz. Worked well for the biamp setup, though.

Everybody liked the sticker on the boxes that the Dr. Fongs came in- it was a cartoon of a mad scientist with a stethoscope testing out a speaker cab, lots of lightning bolts and the like. Dr. Fong had a 'thought balloon' that said "It's alive!!!"

I kept that Dr. Fong cab for a few years and sold it in the late 90's. The box survived a few household moves but got wet and fell apart, else I would scan the sticker and post it.

I don't think Dr. Fong survived past the mid-90's. I didn't see any ads after about '96. Does anybody know who Dr. Fong was, or have any more info about the company?
  2. Kael

Kael Supporting Member

Dec 26, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    Are you sure they were only available by ordering direct from the manufacturer? There's a local shop in OKC, Lone Wolf Guitars, that had a slew of them in the early 90's. I guess they could've been used, but I seem to remember that they were "carrying" them. At least I remember that they had what appeared to me at the time as a decent selection of them. This sticks out in my mind, because an employee there encouraged me to but them. I had to opt for a cheapo peavey combo (I was a broke high school student at the time) from a differing shop.
  3. uglybassplayer

Aug 24, 2001
    New Jersey
    We have a pair of Fongs that we use on occasion as additional monitors or when we need a little more support out front. The band has had them for years, I don't know where or how they purchased them.

Here's a pic from a recent outdoor gig we did that shows one of them in the foreground:

- Ugly.
  4. uglybassplayer

Aug 24, 2001
    New Jersey
    I have another "Dr. Fong" pic, but I'm not sure this is the one you're interested in...

- Ugly.
  5. The actual person behind the 'Dr. Fong' persona was not oriental. ;) But that pic was funny anyway!

I don't remember much outside of when I called his shop to order the cab, just that he was a regular musician guy from rural Indiana.

Thanks for the pic of the PA cabinet- check out that Dr. Fong logo! I'm jealous- my 12" cab didn't have a logo badge.

6. Maybe Dr. Fong started out being direct only, and then moved to dealerships?

Kael, I looked for a Lone Wolf store website, but there isn't one. Since you're local, would you give 'em a call and ask about Dr. Fong.. just for grits and shins? :D

It'd be interesting to see what they could add to all this. 634-9911 is the number.
  7. Kael

Kael Supporting Member

Dec 26, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    I'll give Lone Wolf a call and see if they remember anything about them.
  8. What's the word, Kael?
  9. Bumping another of my old threads, just to see if anybody else has any info on Dr. Fong?
  10. aaron7

Jun 11, 2010
    Just registered to post that I found a Dr.Fong 15" speaker cabinet at a yard sale. Found this thread via a google search.

There's pretty much -zero- information about this brand!

I was trying to find out if they were considered to be any good? Or were they cheapies?

I'm going to put this up for sale on Craigslist but I have to figure out how to test it first!

11. uglybassplayer

Aug 24, 2001
    New Jersey
    Cheapies, but they still served the purpose (at least for our band anyway). We sometimes used them as side-fill monitors, sometimes as an extra set of FOH, depending on the gig.
  12. staccatogrowl

staccatogrowl Supporting Member

Ha ha . . . a funny (and cool) thread . . . hope more reply with the saga of Dr. Fong . . . Sure beats the heartache saga of Dr. bAss . . .
  13. Wow, I missed these 2010 posts on my old Dr. Fong thread!

Apparently enough of these cabs were built that they are still showing up here and there.

Let's keep it alive if possible. All these more recent posts are about P.A. cabinets. I'm still wondering if any Talkbass players ever had (or still have) a Dr. Fong.
  14. Kael

Kael Supporting Member

Dec 26, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    Well MichaelVee PM'd me and I realized that I'd never followed up on this thread. I am cut/pasting my reply to his PM instead of rewriting the info.

15. Petezilla

Mar 6, 2011
    Hi....cool thread!....I own a pair of Dr. Fong P.A. speakers....I got them at Parts express in Dayton Ohio back in 1993 or 4. My friend and music partner (since then and to this day) bought an identical pair of these speakers about a year later,but the brand name had changed in the meantime. The sales-person told us that the "Indiana Company" that made them said "Fong" sounded to much like "Bong" and therefore the name change...His are labeled "U.S. Megawatt" other than that ,there is NO discernable change!
    Both sets are loaded with 2 piezo tweeters, a weird mid-range folded horn sort-of-thing (6", I believe) and 2-15" woofers...a pretty good sound...I use them for Keyboards amplification at my studio (which flooded 4", yesterday)..they now may be toast!....I found this forum trying to find a current value for them, for my insurance claim.....Thanks
  16. PropheticGrit

May 9, 2011
    The "Dr. Fong" product was designed and manufactured by a one Jay Wilfong who is currently living in Mt. Juliet, Tn. He is no longer in the business of music products and owns a barbecue joint in the aforementioned city. His son and I used to take the old speaker cabinets and fashion replica robots out of them. I would advise not seeking him out or attempting to make contact in regards to the Dr. Fong product. Anything that remains in restoratively good condition is likely to be held as a relic of a time long gone.
  17. Thanks for the info, PropheticGrit. Does he do good barbeque? :)

Wilfong was a guitar player of some note, playing in a couple of Indiana bands called Primevil and Buccaneer. Can't tell if he's currently playing, but he does have a MySpace page.

It appears that Dr. Fong was primarily a PA cabinet builder. No one here on TB has talked about owning a bass guitar cab. The cab I had was an EVM-12B guitar cab that I used as a biamp top cab.

I'm reasonably certain that I did see ads for Dr. Fong bass cabs somewhere back in the 90's, most likely in the classified ad section of Guitar Player mag. I might pull out some of the issues I still have and look for the ad.
  18. Rebop

Jul 9, 2008
    La Honda, CA
    Wow. I've been wondering about Dr. Fong. I used to have a 12" wedge monitor from that guy. It was a do-it-yourself kit when it was new. Just the cabinet, hardware and a tweeter with weird fins on it, no speaker and no tolex or carpet; just bare particle board. I gave it to a guitar player I worked with and he used it until it fell apart. Sounded really balanced.
  19. Greetings Earthlings - I just happened to bump into this thread. I am at your service.......what questions can I answer?? Note to PropheticGrit..... I guess I now know where that frickin' robot came from! It woke me up one night hovering over me about 3 in the morning. The look in its eyes made me nervous.
  20. p.s. - At one time we had 314 dealers across the US and Europe. The 15" bin was an "Igor" and the 18" was a "Thwackk" and yes they were similar to an EV design but tweaked quite a bit. I offered an unconditional 5 year cabinet construction warranty and NEVER had one unit come back. They were essentially one piece the way we built them.....guys used to drag them to gigs behind their Mercury pimp mobiles.