Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by pierce, Dec 3, 2004.

1. pierce

pierce freethinker

May 25, 2000
    San Francisco, Ca
    ...is here!

Attached Files:

2. pierce

pierce freethinker

May 25, 2000
    San Francisco, Ca
    and here...

Attached Files:

3. pierce

pierce freethinker

May 25, 2000
    San Francisco, Ca
    Just came in today... :hyper:

Rig Specs:

Thunderfunk TFB420 (with upgrade)....400W @ 8ohms....15lbs

Dr. Bass 1260 Rx Cab
    Eminence 12" X 6" x Tweeter................................49lbs

Dr. Bass 115 Rx Cab
    Eminence 15" x Tweeter......................................37lbs

Total Weight: 101lbs
    Total Cost (some used) with shipping: under $1300

I am stoked. im putting it thru the paces tonight at practice. this is essentially the same speaker configuration as an accugroove el whappo. i would be interested in a/b'ing against one to hear the differences.

any way, off to practice. thought i would share.

thank you dr. bass.
  4. coyoteboy

coyoteboy easy there, Ned Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2000
    Sactomato, CA

May I ask if those cabs have a spray on coating? They look like Line-X.

I hear nothing but good things about the TF.
  5. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    very nice lookin rig there!!! bet it sounds killer too.
  6. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Nice!! Keep us posted on how it sounds.
  7. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Very cool idea!! Looks great, let us know how it sounds on a gig. Thunderfunks rule!
  8. KB

Jan 13, 2000
    Chapel Hill, NC
    very nice
  9. pierce

pierce freethinker

May 25, 2000
    San Francisco, Ca

yes, it is the spray on coating. i tried to include a picture of the coating on the recessed handle, but tb will only allow pics of a certain size.
  10. pierce

pierce freethinker

May 25, 2000
    San Francisco, Ca
    i have had a lot of people asking about my setup, so i am going to post my opinion so far. i had wanted to wait until i had played a few gigs with it, and gotten a variety of input. but here goes anyway...

well..its loud as H3ll! . i love the TF. i played the tf with the 1260 for several gigs , and ppl were saying that i wasnt cutting thru at some shows against the (loud) drummer, the distorted line6 spider 212, and two sets of vocals. they could hear the bass, but couldnt always pick out my parts. other shows they said it was ALL bass, and that i needed to turn down. the funny part was that i was getting the "too quiet" reviews when i was DI'd, and the "too loud" when i wasnt, so i think the venue was the deciding factor.

now that i have added the 115, i feel like i have plenty of overhead for my band, and therefore i can turn up, and play softer and faster. the only complaint i have gotten is that im too loud in the practice room (i am trying to learn volume control with my finger touch), and that i am now "too trebly". personally, it sounds boomy as hell to me, with little to no mud or distortion. my drummer can hear me on stage, i can hear me on stage, and the audience can hear me well.

i think my "too trebly" issue has to do with the eq. i am running it flat with no effects. some songs i play in the upper register, so i think the mids are very pronounced during those times. it may also be a technique thing.

i haven't posted a review yet, because i have only played one gig with the whole rig. i am holding off till i can get a better feel for it. i have been fighting a lot of changes in my band in 6 months...

i think these problems will go away with experience. i love my rig. the only problem i have is that the 1260 with the tf in it is 60+ lbs. the fact that the 115 is 37lbs makes up for it. if it becomes a problem, i will just pull the tf out, and put in a rack drawer.
  11. pierce

pierce freethinker

May 25, 2000
    San Francisco, Ca
    i wanted to address the too trebly statement. i reread the tf manual, and found that i just need to back off the timbre control slightly, now its more boomy and less trebly (than it was). i also figured out how to use the limiter. i love knobs that actually do something when you turn them. :p
  12. Emprov

Mar 19, 2003
    Awesome! I gotta hear that 15 one of these days before I order another cab. It'd be cool to A/B the 1080 and the 15. Melikes and congrats! Kinda almost looks like mine. :D