Dr Green Doctor's Note envelope filter

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by ficelles, Feb 28, 2017.

1. ficelles

ficelles

Feb 28, 2010
    Devon, England
    I picked up one of these cheap through Amazon and it turned up today... interestingly with different labelled controls to those I've seen pictures of. Anyway it had a battery in so a quick checkout and not overly impressed as it was easy to push it into horrible distortion especially for deeper filter sweeps, then had the bright idea of plugging it into a power supply and wow what a difference - the distortion goes away, the controls operate differently, and it's a whole new pedal. So I guess a bad first impression from a bad battery.

Bearing in mind that this is a cheap pedal, I think it's excellent - does what it claims to do very well and looks well made so it's going onto my pedal board. Controls are Input to match input level to your instrument (you can push this too hard and get clipping even with a passive bass), Peak which is the extent the envelope opens so maybe should be Sensitivity, LP/HP which is self explanatory but appears to work in reverse to the labelling, and Up/Down which is combined filter direction and depth. So you maybe lack Decay which seems to be on the alternate version, so perhaps mine is old stock.

Edit: LP/HP affects decay so I guess I misunderstood that control, the manual is minimalist to say the least.

So basically a simple envelope filter with choice of up or down sweep and a good range of control over depth, decay and sensitivity. Good with a bass straight in and very nice growly filter sweeps with octaver and overdrive before it.

The basic sound is good, it doesn't kill your bass tone, and it seems to be true bypass. Not bad for the money.

IMG_0091.JPG

Last edited: Feb 28, 2017
    Bo0tsy likes this.
  2. BassBrass

BassBrass

Jul 6, 2009
    Boston MA
    I've owned Many envelopes over the years and Dr's Note is my main board envelope now, I like the dial controls similar to their (Ashdown) earlier version that was heavy and had input/output controls that really didn't help, but it had a Looong subtle sweep as well as a more quacky aspect. The Dr Green Dr's Note is stable and sounds good. I also had problems with distortion when I was running it at maybe not enough milliamps.

3. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 16, 2021