Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

DR Heartfield basses.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Andy Daventry, Aug 2, 2000.

1. I know they were made by Fender Japan between 1988 and 1993. I know that the 5 string retailed for around $1000 before any retail discounts. I know there is one on the Harmony centyral classifieds for 700 second hand.

But what do you know of them? Does anyone have one? There'S a five string here that has piqued my interest.

Andy

2. Yeah, thanks. I saw that one. I think it's a custom. The one I have my eye n here is the standard model. With the 17mm spacing it you suit my need for a high strung five.

Andy

3. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    I wouldn't think a Heartfield would be worth that much. IIRC it was a failed attempt at getting into the higher end, active electronics, neck thru bass market by Fender. I remember some sitting on shelves for years. If you like it go for it but don't be surprised if resale value sucks.

I've played several and they were merely OK, no particular personality or anything that would set it apart from other basses of that era. Probably comparable to a neck thru Ibanez.

Hope that helps.

4. The one I am looking at is a bolt on. And is better than any Ibanez I have tried (we only get the soundgear models here in Ankara).

Anyway, it's a mild flirtation right now.

Andy

5. Oh, right the 5 string :0

6. Claude

Claude

Jul 31, 2000
    There's a Red Heartfield 5 string at a shop here in Central Washington that may still be new (unsold) because it got dropped and the finish got spiderwebbed. The owner got it from a guy quitting business in central Oregon. They're still trying to get $750 US for it...

7. gweimer

gweimer

Apr 6, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    I just saw and tried one of these last night. For a 5-string, I was impressed. It was light, and I had to ask twice if it was truly a Fender. The neck was really fat, and some thin (depth), and it helped me to play it. I found this to be one of the easiest 5-strings that I've ever tried.

8. basswalker2004

basswalker2004 Supporting Member

Jun 22, 2008
    actually they are worth it. They play nice, especially the neck thru customs and they do have a loyal following which will help keep the resale val up. Especially if it is a really clean one.
    Guy

9. ThumbyAche

ThumbyAche Supporting Member

Sep 15, 2005
    Denver, Colorado
    I really like these basses and I think they can be modded with new pickups to make them even better. I was looking at some Delano pups that look like they might fit. Not long ago I saw one modded with Bart pups that looked really nice. The necks on these are great and the "B" string rocks on these basses for sure.