Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

DR Heartfield's

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Brian Barrett, May 23, 2002.

1. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    Murfreesboro, TN (Nashville)
    Dealer LowEndBassShop.com, Builder LowEndBasses.com
    I've never had a DR Heartfield and I have just gotten a guys collection of Heartfield's. I know nothing about them other then they where built or had something to do with fender. Can anyone tell me anything about these basses. Also what are they worth?

Thanks to everyone for the help

2. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    They kick ass. They look like big juicy M&Ms. They wuz made in Japan around the same time Fender was dabbling with all sorts of non-Fender stuff, ie. late 80s-early 90s. Since nothing from that era is particularly collectible (with the possible exception of the 40th anni. P and the MIJ hollowbody P), you shouldn't have to pay more than $800 for one in excellent condition.

3. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    Christopher

Thanks, I thought they where cheaper then that. I know one of them is a custom which is a neck-through. The other's are bolt-on's. All are different color's.

Is the custom neck-through one a big deal?

4. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Maybe. As excellent as these instruments were, they still fall short of collectible status, so I don't think the custom neck-through deal will push the price up too much.

5. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    Thanks for the help, I figured they were worth about $400 for the bo and 500 or 600 on the neck-through.

Is that far off or is it reasonable?

6. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Sounds right to me.

7. B String

B String Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    I believe the Heartfields were made by Fujigen,
    for Fender. They tried reinforcing the headstocks
    with graphite. The effectivness of this was
    never really agreed upon. The electronics were
    totally goofy, but the xlr out was a nice
    touch for a cheap bass. They weren't made
    from the best materials, so the necks were
    not always too stable. BUT! The balance,
    string spacing, and physical specs were killer.
    Fender just could'nt seem to sell them so they
    stopped importing them. I think if they had
    used better materials, these would have been
    great basses. Just my opinion.

8. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    WOW WOW WOW

I just got the 5 DR Heartfield's in.

I have to say I am quite impressed. I actually think they are quite a bit like a wal in sound. The preamps have the same characteristics and do the same Q freq with a switch to just tone.

Very similiar to the wals. Now I'm a huge fan of wal's and I'm not saying they are on the same playing field, But MAN for the money these things smoke with great growl and awesome high end slap tone.

What a deal on 400-500 basses. I would have to say by far better then anything else in that price range!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Im impressed, and thats not to often with all the basses I go through.

Thanks for everyone's info.

9. shakey_slim

shakey_slim

Jan 3, 2001
    Spokanistan
    Hey Brian,

I've got a DR-5 that I bought new in 91 (black pearl finish, still in excellent++ condition). I agree, they are GREAT basses and are totally underrated. I love the neck and the extremely low action I can get, plus the pups (for having the goofy control setup) are very responsive and capable of a killer sound. Interesting about the Wal comparison...

Looking forward to seeing the pics on your site. Could you email me some info on the neck through?

10. B String

B String Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Brian...
    Are you saying that the DR's are being made
    again? Are new ones available? Whats the list?

11. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    No, I was just asking for info on them. I had some arrive today actually after I posted the thread.

I was curious what anyone new about them. I had never had one and I got 5 in on trade. I wasn't sure what they were really worth or anything. The ones I got are all used, but three are in mint condition one is in very good to excellent and then one is really played hard!

I don't believe they are being made agaian or will ever be made agian although someone else might be able to help you better then me.

thanks

12. I just traded for a Heartfield neck-thru 4-string at the Bass Palace.

I was really trading a bass, some cash, and a practice amp for an Ibanez jazz guitar they had, but was playing around with the basses in the shop while I waited for the Swami to set up a different bass I wanted to try.

Picked up the DR Heartfield, and just COULD NOT believe it. The Alembic-style Q-filter tone control RULES, the neck is super-comfy and VERY straight, the bass looks super (I'll post pics when I can -- or you can look at www.basspalace.com), and it came with OHSC. So I had to get it. . .

I am just loving this thing. I've never played a Wal, but this bass sounds and feels fairly similar to an Alembic Spoiler I once owned. The Q-filter is a little less dramatic, and the tone is a little less aggressive, but for $400 in trades? Holy moley!

13. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Uh, no sign of it on the BP website...

14. You're right, Brendan, Bob took the picture down. That's unusual -- he isn't generally that quick about taking down pics of sold basses.

Oh, well, I'll just have to get off my butt and take some pics. . .