1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

DR Hellborg strings arrived.

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by davelowell2, May 12, 2011.

1. davelowell2

davelowell2 Uhh... FaFaFooey is BaBaBooey... Supporting Member

Apr 20, 2006
    NYC via StL
    Haven't seen many review for these so...

Just got em from Strings and Beyond with their free shipping.
    I've been intrigued and took the plunge.

I'll be putting them on my Epi Casady that currently sports TI flats. There's nothing wrong with the TI's, but I bottom them out a little too much with my pick and sausage fingers!

I'm not the greatest at describing "teh tonez" but I'll report back later.

2. pacojas

pacojas "FYYA BUN"

Oct 11, 2009
    MEXICANADAMERICA
    well i got my Trujillo's from S&B today and they kick azz!!!

3. davelowell2

Apr 20, 2006
    NYC via StL
    First impressions...

1. They remind me of flats with more sustain. More highs than flats but I suspect that will temper.

2. Close to grounds or halfs but not grabby or rough.

***. The E and A do not fit in the tuner post because they do not taper towards the tuner. Not sure if this is just an issue for the Casady or not.

4. BrBss

BrBss

Jul 9, 2010
    Albuquerque NM
    In my experience, grounds are like rounds without the highs, and Hellborgs are like rounds without the mids. They sound very scooped to me, which I did not care for, but some may like. A lot of people have had issues with the tuners I believe.

5. davelowell2

Apr 20, 2006
    NYC via StL
    I can totally see that. We'll see how they are after a few days.

6. Gintaras

Gintaras

Dec 11, 2004
    Kent Island, Md.
    I had them on a Pbass I had and really liked them. Interested in review because I am thinking of trying them on a newly acquired Ibanez ASB140 that presently have GHS Precision flats.

7. AmadeusXeno

AmadeusXeno

Mar 8, 2011
    Maine
    I currently have a set of them on my Ibanez ATK750KA. Great strings except for slap. The reason they don't taper is because they are a single wrap on the core. To make them tapered they would have to have the wrap wire its self taper which I'm sure would be a manufacturing pain in the back side. In case you didn't know they are a pure nickle wrap on a round stainless steel core. I like the strings myself but probably not gonna buy them again only because they don't really fit my style of playing.

8. Gintaras

Gintaras

Dec 11, 2004
    Kent Island, Md.
    sent back my asb140 and bought a Gretsch Electromatic. Just put on Hellborg's this afternoon. So far I have to agree with a post that I saw on these strings a while a go. "If you have tried to like flats but never did then you should try the UFO's"

9. tylerwylie

tylerwylie

Jan 5, 2008
    Dunwoody, GA
    So Flats = Rounds with no life, Grounds = Rounds with no bite, and Hellborgs = Rounds with no punch.

:cool:

Above statement is made in jest.