1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

DR Hi Beam problem

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by alexorn, Jul 27, 2012.

1. Hello there

Could anyone recommend a string that has similar feel to the DR Hi Beams, particularly if they last long?

I've used the Hi Beams for some time now and I love the feel, the warmth and the brightness but they are the only strings I have ever managed to break and since I joined my current band in which I play very hard I have been breaking strings like every two weeks.

So, i'm curious to know if there are any similar strings out there that can better withstand my right hand.

-Alex

2. You'll need higher tension strings, but honestly - I'm not even sure if that is your cure. The only SS string that I've found that had a similar tone to Hi-Beams with higher tension are Dean Markley SR2000's.

But - if your playing that hard, I think you'll break any string you play. Was there ever a point in time where you were not breaking strings, and if so, what strings were you using at that time?

I don't think its the Hi-Beams fault as I use them all the time and I've never broke a string. But I have a light touch.

3. rolleharris

rolleharris

Nov 10, 2002
    Falun Sweden
    Try some prosteels

4. Oneirogenic

Oneirogenic

Nov 10, 2009
    Where are the strings breaking at? Are you installing them correctly? Crimping before you cut them to length? Bad strings happen but more often than not premature string breakage is user error. A long period of wear and tear will break strings but we're talking many months possibly years with most strings. Your bass and/or technique could be causing this too. If it's your aggressive technique heavier gauges or technique modification are in order.

5. I honestly don't remember ever breaking a string before using Hi-Beams, but i've used them for so long that I kinda assumed it had something to do with these particular strings.

6. I always crimp the strings before I cut them and i'm pretty sure that I install them correctly. I have thought about just playing lighter but that would defeat the point of playing so hard as that is the way I get the sound that I like.

Maybe I should try a heavier gauge.

7. Jenra

Jenra

Feb 18, 2011
    Aalborg - Denmark
    I use DR silver star nickel strings. They seem to be abit sturdier than the Hi-Beams.
    Almost same tone though with a little more low end, really nice strings for me!

8. Turxile

Turxile

May 1, 2011
    Just speculating, but If it's the E string you're breaking, on a Fender, that's because the thick part of the string wraps around the tuner when it shouldn't. There are a few posts about it. If this is the case you will have the same problem with all DRs.
    But I have to say, I never broke a DR string myself.