1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

DR Hi-Beam Stainless , 5 string first impressions

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by MostlyBass, Jun 5, 2012.

1. MostlyBass

MostlyBass Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Oak Park, IL
    I just replaced the stock Carvin strings on my 5 string Icon with a set of DR Hi-Beams ( with a .125 B ).... I liked the Carvin strings but I installed an ebony pickup ramp and this was the perfect time to change strings.

I have never used DR strings before so I was looking forward to trying them out. I initially wanted Lo-Riders but got these in a trade.

-Feel - LOVE IT... Smooth. Smoother than the nickel stock strings. They feel great to both hands.

-Sound. Interesting and complex. Tons of velvet-y low-end. Not a lot of mid range. The high end sounds nice but muted. It sounds like a bright string with the treble turned down. (I had to check my treble controls!). This isn't necessarily bad, it just is. The strings sound like the MXR demo of the their bass compressor on their website. Thick and rich without twang. Clear and punchy.

-Low B. I was initially worried about the .125 not being thick enough or having enough tension as a .130 or .135.
    But the tension is perfect and the doesn't buzz where the Carvin low B did have just a touch of buzz. This low B is crystal clear.

Attached Files: