Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

DR Hi Beam taperedB?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by xtopher, Oct 21, 2002.

1. xtopher

xtopher

Oct 13, 2002
    Hi,

I'm interested in getting a set of DR Hi beams for my Warwick 5 string.

Anybody know, is the B tapered on this set?

Thanks

Chris

2. SoyBase

SoyBase

Jul 1, 2001
    Atlanta, Ga
    Its funny you should mention it. I just ordered a Streamer Jazzman 5 and found out that I can only use taper cores. Try juststrings.com . They have taper core high beams. I use them to order strings and have never had a problem.
    Thanks
    Tommy

3. xtopher

xtopher

Oct 13, 2002
    Tommy, thanks for your reply

I'm puzzled, do some DR Hi-beam sets have a tapered B and others not?

The Juststring site describes some of the sets as being Tite-fits, are those the one with the tapered B?

DR's site doesn't seem to list any Tite-Fits.

4. SoyBase

SoyBase

Jul 1, 2001
    Atlanta, Ga
    They are labeled as a tapered B..look towards the bottom of the just strings dr page...it took me a while to find them too...they also sell the high beams individually in a tapered B also.

I guess Im going to have to order some for my new warwick now!

Tommy

5. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    strange, i bought a pack from bass central with two b-strings: one tapered .130 and one non-tapered .125.

i initially put on a .130, but replaced it with the .125 when it wouldn't intonate correctly.

:mad:

6. oldirtymoney

oldirtymoney Banned

Jul 16, 2002
    california, carslbad
    I have a warwick 5 that i used thoughs strings with. It sounds really nice and the b is tapperd but i keep breaking with 2 weeks of getting them. It is very strange and i cant find any other companys that make tappered 5 strings

7. voionmaa

voionmaa Guest

Apr 3, 2002
    I have a Warwick Thumb 5 String as well. I found the E string doesn't fit as well either. I actually have the Long Necks on my bass. They are all tapered core low riders (Hex Core). I think they have a better growl than the high beams. the High Beams do come with a taper down B.

8. SoyBase

SoyBase

Jul 1, 2001
    Atlanta, Ga
    Who else makes a good taper core? I dont particularly like high beams because of their brightness. It doesnt look like DR makes the sunbeams or fat beams in a taper core. Anyone have any other recommendations?

Tommy

9. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    i'm gonna check out dean markley sr2000 next time.

those're tapered and are highly punchy, or so says john turner.

10. voionmaa

voionmaa Guest

Apr 3, 2002
    Warwick Black Label STrings are also good tapered strings.