Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

DR Hi-Beams (fret eater?)

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by iceblinko, Dec 31, 2004.

1. iceblinko

iceblinko

Jul 15, 2003
    Ny
    hey all... i just got me some sunbeams and like them quite a bit. they are "mellow" sounding, and i want to try some more aggressive strings. i'm thinking about giving Hi-Beams a try. What is the difference in feel, sound and tension between the Sunbeams and the Hi-Beams? do they Hi-Beams have a good mellow finger tone as well as their aggressive tone? also, do the hi-beams eat your frets (ala Rotosound) and are they rough on figers (being a steel string and all)...?
    thanks and happy new year!
    -Tom

2. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    frets wear... and get replaced.

Sound how you want :bassist: all strings will wear down frets in time.

Yes Stainless Steel is rougher then the Nickels... to me nickel rounds feel slimey (funny though I've switched over to nickel grounds on all my basses).

3. I string my old P-bass with hi-beams, and I really like them. Very growly and clear sounding. I haven't noticed any real fret wear since I've started using them, but that has only been about five months. Marcus Miller has a quote on the box that states that they don't eat frets.

4. Minger

Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    I recently got a set of these and havn't put them in, but i'll be mad if they do eat my frets..

5. They will eat your frets, just like any other type of roundwound will with enough use. I've found that Hi Beams aren't that bad though. Lo-Riders and Rotosounds seem to be grittier. Either way, you won't notice much damage at all for years. Frets will eventually get replaced. If you've got an inexpensive bass that isn't worth the hassle of refretting, by the time you will need to refret you will likely have another bass.

6. Squidfinger

Squidfinger I wish I could sing like Rick Danko.

Jan 7, 2004
    Shreveport LA
    I have just recently sworn off flats and jumped back into the world of rounds with a set of Hi-Beams. I did some research on this very subject and found that because of the DR's unique production technique they supposedly don't wear as much on frets.

waynobass likes this.