DR Hi Beams High C buzzing

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by brandonwong, Apr 17, 2005.

1. brandonwong

Dec 16, 2003
    Hi all,

I recently purchase a Thumb BO 6 and replaced the strings with DRs. The rest of the strings are fine but the high C has a buzz around the 4-6 fret area. I know this might be some problem with the neck and had the nuts file down professionally. Whats interesting is the problem was solved when i change to Daddario XLs, apparently with a higher gauge and therefore smaller vibrating radius.

I really like the DR sound but the vibrating string seems to be buzz a lot, also due to my more aggressive plucking hand. Can anyone shed some light on this and advice me what i can use or do to my bass.

2. Unfortunatly you pretty much nailed the problem- aggressive plucking. Im not going to lecture you on the benefits of a softer touch (gets discussed on this site tons), so pretty much your options for using DR's would be to
    A. lighten your touch up
    B. Get a higher gauge of DR strings if available (more tension less vibration)
    c. Raise your action
    D. Take a little bit of relief out of your neck if it's buzzing towards the low end of the neck. If the gauge of the strings was lighter than your last set that equals less tension on the neck which means you should back off the truss rod a little bit to compensate.

If I missed anything Im sure others will weigh in, good luck!!