1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

DR Hi-Beams Low B - .125 or .130?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Tony G, Sep 24, 2008.

1. .125

34.6%
  2. .130

57.7%
  3. Get a different set of strings for the Nordy; please post your choice

7.7%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    I'm going to order a set of DR Hi Beams for my Nordy vJ5, but I'm not sure which size low B to go with. I've always loved Hi Beams on my Fender Jazz, but that obviously doesn't have a low B. I hope hi beams will sound just as good on my Nordy, but is there any advantages to one size of the low B over the other?

Edit: I should mention I plan to the medium set: 45-65-85-105-?

2. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    Never tried a .130. I lik ethe .125 I have on my bass now. I've never liked heavy strings, though.

3. RCCollins

RCCollins Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2008
    San Diego, California
    .130 might just be more boom than you're hoping for. Voted .125 for your first go-round. If that doesn't quite cut it, move up.

4. I voted .125

IMO, I've always felt I get the nice low end, but a little more focused/controlled sound from the .125 over the .130 or .135. For me it seems the .125 is a bit more "even" with the rest of the stings. ( so no G D A E BBBBBBBBBBBB :D)

5. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    Really, even with the loose tension of Hi beams? I would have thought that bringing the gauge up to .130 would help give a hi beam low B more stability and sound more focused.

6. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    I expected there to be more chatter about this topic considering it seems like one out of every 2 people here seem to use hi beams.

7. The .125 Hi-Beam is the most even, punchy B string (in the mix) on my Sadowsky J out of the different namebrands I've tried. I have not tried the .130 but don't feel the need to.

8. +1 I've been using the Hi Beam .45-.125 set for quite a number of years. I kind of like the 'logical feel and extension' of the .20 increments up and down the strings. It feels and sounds like more of an extension of the E string (which I prefer at this point versus the 'watch out, he's playing the B string' monster boom). It seems easier to intonate more accurately also than the super fat ones, although that's a minor issue.

My primary basses are 34" scale, but have VERY stiff flat sawn rock maple necks (like the Nordy), and the .125 feels tight and has similar tension 'feel' to the other strings.

I'd try the .125's. If you are looking for a slightly meatier and slightly tighter feeling B, it's easy to go up to the .130 next time.

I really like that even balance though!

9. I voted other. I have been trying to like the hi-beams. I used to use them on my Modulus basses with good results but have not been liking them at all on my F bass or stingray 5. I've gone back to my beloved Blue Steels. I find they have a "springier" sound and a bit more flexible feel. I wish they offered a .130 but the .128 is OK. I find a .125 un-playable

10. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    Well, I've gotten some good advice here, but I think I'm going to go the opposite way. I'm going to try the .130 first, and if it is too much I'll simply go back down to the .125.

11. In some ways, that's probably the safer bet, since most prefer a slightly 'bigger' B string. Let us know what you think.

12. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    This is what I was thinking. The Low B on my MTD 635 is so close in tone and playability compared to the rest of the string on that bass, that I was kind of taken back on it. My Nordy on the other hand has a slightly more thick sounding low B, offering more of a deep pillow of bass rather than the deep roundwound growl of the MTD's low B. I like both for what they are, but sometimes favor the deep pillow (like I used to get on my old Roscoe SKB3006). But the strings I've had on my Nordy haven't quite brought me complete satisfaction as I've had everything but Hi Beams since I first got the bass.

13. Hey Tony, any thoughts?
    I'm kinda stuck deciding between 125's and 130's myself...

14. 4 year old bump - more thoughts please!

15. MostlyBass

MostlyBass Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Oak Park, IL
  16. mmbongo

mmbongo Five Time World Champion Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
  17. MostlyBass

Mar 3, 2002
    Oak Park, IL
  18. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

I personally prefer .130, but I would buy a .125 over a .132/.135 just try both and take detailed notes of each string so you don't forget what you thought about the other.

19. I'm a 45-100 guy. Have been for 10 years...

I have a few new 5 String basses and wondering what B to add....

My gut feeling is the .125 might not be as tight as I want... and that the .130 will be too unbalanced with the rest of the set.

Getting a 45-105 set is not an option as I don't care for the feel of the 85 & 105 (been using 80/100 for years...)

What to do... hmmmmm....

20. MostlyBass

Mar 3, 2002
    Oak Park, IL
    I thought the .125 wouldn't be tight enough but the Hi-Beam .125 is tighter that the Carvin stock string on my 34" bass. No rattle at all.