Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

DR hi beams or lo riders for P bass?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by basmeisje, Oct 12, 2004.

1. basmeisje

basmeisje

Jun 7, 2004
    Hi all,

A year ago I changed from Rotosound swing 66 to DR lo riders on my Jazzbass. The difference was amazing and I never looked for anything else.
    Now I want to change from flats to rounds on my P bass. Of course I want DR's again, but I doubt between Hi beams and lo riders. Since they are very expencieve I thought I better get some opinions first, replacing them after a few days will be such a waste.
    I use my P for punk, rock, jazz, rockabilly, motown and funk, but also for slap. I know I'm crazy, but I like slapping better on my P than on my J.
    I looked at the users on the DR website and it looks like most bassplayers use the hi beams (aspecially those who rock).
    I'm very curious for your opinions and experiences so I thank you in advance for all the replies.

Yvette

2. ApeIsHigh81

ApeIsHigh81

Aug 24, 2004
    CA
  3. basmeisje

basmeisje

Jun 7, 2004
    Well they might be great, but I've never seen any Laballa here in Holland, so...
    (since I'm a Jamerson fan, I really would like to try the Labella flats, but as I said, I've never seen any)

Yvette

4. bassclef112

bassclef112 Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2003
    New York City, NY
    For my P I prefer LoRiders - not as zingy as HiBeams. YMMV.

If you've already got them on your J why don't you just switch them to your P and see how they sound?

If you put on a set of strings that you don't like you can always take them off and save them for something else later. They don't go bad - just put them in a baggie. Strings are too expensive to waste.

5. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    I like Hi Beams on my passive basses for some reason. I mean they are slightly "Zingier" but if you bass is passive and once they settle they are great! Also if you slap you gotta go with the Hi Beams! Don't get me wrong you won't see anything else on my active Spectors besides Lowriders but I feel the charateristics of the hibeams will suit you better in my experience using a lot of both those strings. I don't use anything else besides one or the other.

6. BigTopBruno

BigTopBruno

Sep 6, 2002
    NJ, USA
    ...totally agree with Ricplaya. I'd rather have that "snap" on the passives...you can always tone it down if needed.

With my active 3-band, tho, it's lo riders.

peace

7. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2003
    :cool:
    For Flats TI.
    Low Riders are good.
    But If you like that sound,
    try Ken Smith Compressors.
    All three are good on P-bass

8. basmeisje

basmeisje

Jun 7, 2004
    Hi all,

I've put lo riders on the P. I like the sound (way better then the Rotosounds) and I like the feel. I still havn't tried the hi beams, but I think I like the stiffness of lo riders better, allows you to play really tight and pumping without muddyness or flubering.

Yvette