DR 'Hi Beams' Stainless Steel

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by skin, Sep 22, 2003.

1. skin

Jun 22, 2003
    Baton Rouge, LA USA
    Just got a long scale set- having second thoughts about using them. I have both a passive (backup) and an active (main) bass. What do you guys think?

Seems like the Slow Wounds are the real deal here!

Should I bring them back or are they better suited for passive or active?

Lemme know!
  2. Jontom

Mar 11, 2002
    New York
    It really depends on what tone your going for. Believe it or not,the lo-riders have more zing than the hi-beams. Its all due to the core of the string. Lo-riders have a hex core, the Hi-beams a round core. The hex core has more air space between the string and core, hence a brighter tone. They are very balanced string-to-string as well. They work well both active or passive. What do you mean by "real deal"?
  3. I love high beams. But if you don't like SS strings, don't get them. Get XL's.
  4. Deano Destructo

Deano Destructo Music Man/Upton addict. Hasn't slept since 1979. Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Why? Just curious since I've used Hi-beams for years and love 'em to death.:bassist:
  5. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Who are we to judge compared to your ears/taste ??? :confused:

Marcus Miller used them faithfully until DR "Marcus" (Fat Beams) came out.
  6. skin

Jun 22, 2003
    Baton Rouge, LA USA
    OK... I'll keep them... but should I get a set of Slow Wounds for the passive bass and put those on the active one?

I want a clear sound, good bottom, but something that can punch through without any dead notes- is that too much to ask for ?
  7. I love Hi-Beams on my Warwick and have recently tried Slow Wounds on my P-Bass. The Slow Wounds are higher tension and harder to play I.M.O. but have a super FAT sound without being zingy.

I wish I could have a string that sounded as big as the Slow Wounds with the softer feel of the Hi-beams.
  8. That's excactly the dilemma I'm in!
    I've tried to lower the action a bit, which makes up for most of the playabillity of hi-beams. When I use hi-beams though, I miss the firm feeling of Slowounds when 8th or 16th notes has to be super tight (...which is allways ;) )

One day I'll have to try the Sunbeams, but after a year of string experimenting I'm sticking with what I know.
  9. seansbrew

seansbrew Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2000
    Mesa AZ.
    After trying out 5 different brands of strings, and not really liking any of them, a friend recomended the DR hi beams (ss). I put a fresh set on my Modulus Q5 and loved them instantly.
  10. Glad that you found your string. What other sets did you try?
  11. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Sean - If you're ever looking around, try the "Marcus" (Fat Beams), too..........(see my old review about them in Talkbass string reviews if you're interested).

They're a great marriage between Hi-Beams and Lo-Riders.
  12. seansbrew

Oct 23, 2000
    Mesa AZ.
    I tried Ken Smith, EBS(wich were the same quality as the DR's,but are hard to find)Dean Markley (Will Lee),Rotosound (awful on this bass) and Zon. The srings that came stock on my Q5 felt good, but the nickel steel didnt bring out the tone as good as the SS. All other strings I tried were SS.
  13. rumblethump

rumblethump Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2000
    Pioneer CA. 95666
    I got a couple of sets of 50 - 110's DR Highbeams. These diameters don't lack tension. Super Bright out of the box. They mellowed a bit after maybe 10 hours of playing, but still sound bright. Big ballsy bottom. On my BB200 with duncan SPB2 pu, with the treble rolled off, and a little palm muting, they get a great old school tone.
  14. seansbrew

Oct 23, 2000
    Mesa AZ.
    I cant wait to try the low beams. I hear that they are great for funk they dont ring out as long as the high beams.
  15. Razor

Sep 22, 2002
    Ok, yall help me out. I have a set of DR's on one of my basses that has easily been on the bass for 6 months. I don't remember which type of DR's they are but they were a type Guitar Center had readily available when I purchased them. I have, since then, used two or three more set's of DR strings on other basses and none of these have come close to lasting as long as the original set. Anyone have any clues or opinions as to what the original set might be? Anyone have a personal fave as to which kind of DR's last the longest?
    Only thing I really remember about this first set is that they were the first set of DR's I ever used and it took me a long time to get used to the "rough" feeling they had on my fingers.
    If anyone has any opinions as to where the "freshest" set's of DR's can be purchased that would be helpful also. I always seem to get a set that seems like it's been sitting on the shelf forever.
  16. rumblethump

rumblethump Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2000
    Pioneer CA. 95666
    I thought the High beams felt pretty rough at first.
  17. seansbrew

Oct 23, 2000
    Mesa AZ.
    It was different for me, tht last strings I used before DRs were Rotosounds and they were alot rougher than the DRs. So to me, they started off feeling smooth.
  18. I went from rotos to lo riders to high beams.

Roto's are like friggin barbed wire.
  19. I have tried high beams and low riders. I think i like them both equally. For playability and longevity they are both great but, I am in love with Spector strings! The tapered end fits into the bridge of my Spector perfectly and they also include a little scrub pad to clean your strings with after every use. Bravo! More string companies need to be concerned with making strings last longer like Spector Has.
  20. Ryan K

Ryan K

Dec 11, 2002
    New Jersey
    I just got a new set of hi-beams...and damn...there are beautiful sounding. Rough on my fingers though, cus im used to nickel and didn't change my bass strings for many months. I was going to buy XL's, but the guy at the music store said "buy the dr hi-beams and you'll never go back"... so i did and i love them...i just need to get used to SS.