1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

DR Hi-Beams Tension

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by xian3000, Jan 3, 2012.

1. xian3000

xian3000

Jan 1, 2011
    I have DR Hi-Beams on my bass and I love the tone! The only thing is that because I like to have low action, the flexibility/low tension of these strings cause the strings to hit my frets as I pick. I don't mind this sometimes, but I don't always want that.

What do you guys think if I were to use the heavy gauge Hi-Beams on my bass for standard tuning? Does anyone know if the strings will have too much tension? Will the tone be different??

Thanks!

2. SLaPiNFuNK

SLaPiNFuNK Commercial User

Jul 28, 2006
    LA California
    Owner: BassStringsOnline.com
    The difference in tone should not be much different besides "tighter" sounding.

Not sure what gauge you are using now, probably 45-105 which is the standard. the next step up of Hi-Beams is the ER-50 set which is 50-110. They wont be too much tension for your instrument. It will basically feel like you tuned up your instrument a little more than a half step if you are using 45-105's...

Keep in mind with any string change of gauge / type / manufacturer, you should do a basic setup.

3. xian3000

xian3000

Jan 1, 2011
    Actually I cam to the conclusion that I like the tension of my A, D, and G strings (85, 65 and 45 gauges), but I still find the E and B stings (105 and 130 guage) a bit too floppy for my taste. I'm thinking about going on bassstringsonline.com to purchase thicker E and B strings (110 and 135). I think this will give me the tension I want. What do you guys think?

By the way all the guages are listed here: DR HI-BEAM Build your own Custom String Set!

4. xian3000

xian3000

Jan 1, 2011
    Oh wow! SLaPiNFuNK, I didn't even realize you were the owner for bassstringsonline.com haha!

5. SLaPiNFuNK

SLaPiNFuNK Commercial User

Jul 28, 2006
    LA California
    Owner: BassStringsOnline.com
    :D

It is common that I see custom sets put together where people order .045 .065 .085 .110 for example. or even .040 .060 .080 .105 so I can understand that you are feeling the same way.

6. maurilio

maurilio Musician - Owner Mo's Shop & MBD - Tech Nordstrand

May 25, 2003
    Redlands, CA
    interesting, on one of my basses I had to go the opposite route:

45 65 80 100 120 Hi Beams (thanks SLaPiNFuNK, BTW) (I might wanna try 40 60 75 95 120)

To the OP, be sure the slots on the nut are wide enough for the extra thickness, or you might gonna break it….

M

7. friskinator

friskinator Supporting Member

Apr 5, 2007
    Montreal, QC
    On a related note, I just bought a set of DR 50-110 Hi-Beams by mistake. I'm used to playing the lighter 45-105's, but I'm going to be tuning the bass a half step down from standard. Would these actually work better for that tuning, and if so, will the nut handle the string width without any mods? The bass is a Lakland Dunn (Jazz-width neck).

8. xian3000

xian3000

Jan 1, 2011
    Yeah I think these combinations give a more balanced tension for each strings. Thanks to your site, I can actually do this since DR doesn't offer sets like this.

In my opinion the 45 - 105 is a bit too floppy for the tuning you want, but of course that's just my opinion. I'm no expert.

9. ixlramp

ixlramp

Jan 25, 2005
    UK