1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

DR Hi Beams v Fat Beams

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by kirkm24, Mar 26, 2009.

1. kirkm24

kirkm24

Jan 1, 2007
    Columbus, Ohio
    Wow! I had been using Fat Beams on my Jazz Bass and just for kicks switched to Hi Beams for my last set, I cannot believe how much different they sound to me?!

I'm not sure which I like better but initial impressions have me leaning towards Fat Beams. The Hi Beams definitely seem to have a little more sizzle but they also seem to be deeper sounding as well. I think what everyone says is true about the mid content. The Fat Beams seem to have that extra hi mid that isn't in the Hi Beams. I cannot believe how different my bass sounds with just a different set of strings.

2. D Rokk

D Rokk Banned

Feb 19, 2009
    Delta Quadrant
    dr hibeams are amazing and versatile.. i love them. i've used fat beams sun beams and lowriders hibeams are my fav.. i've used every manor of ernie balls, and i've also used bluesteals .. fender brand bass strings and a few others i've forgotten... still love my hibeams..

3. kirkm24

kirkm24

Jan 1, 2007
    Columbus, Ohio
    How long does a set of Hi Beams last you? I had my Fat Beams on my jazz bass for about 3 months and then another guy played my bass one time and "killed" my strings.

4. D Rokk

D Rokk Banned

Feb 19, 2009
    Delta Quadrant
    i'm pretty gentle on it but 2 2 hour practices a week and i get 3-6 months out of them.. i just play them till they look dirty to be honest

5. Jared Lash

Jared Lash Born under punches

Aug 21, 2006
    Denver, CO
    Hi-Beams last me a LOOONG time. To clarify, I don't like the sizzle they have when new, but I love them when they break in. They seem to stay broken in but not dead longer than almost any other string I've tried.

6. kirkm24

kirkm24

Jan 1, 2007
    Columbus, Ohio
    I know DR's in general have a reputation for long life so it wouldn't surprise me.

On a side note, I went to GC to get these and they are now $32.95 for a set?? The guy started to grab them and I said no I want a 4 string set and he said that that was the 4 string set. Their online counterparts (MF, Music123, etc.) have them for $26.99 and eBay seller have them as low as $22.99 plus shipping ($5). Why in the world did GC hike these prices? Even after paying shipping online is a better deal with no sales tax. I'll need to plan ahead next time but in this instance I was in a bind and had a no choice.

7. DavePlaysBass

DavePlaysBass Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2004
    CO
    They used to have a price matching guarantee. I bet they will match their GC online price if you ask them.

8. kirkm24

kirkm24

Jan 1, 2007
    Columbus, Ohio
    I thought about that after I left. I'll have to remember that next time. They had a sign up saying they did price matching. The eBay sellers have better pricing than the big online stores though. Bass Specialties in particular is a great ebay seller for strings. Fast shipping and great prices. No, I do not work for them; I've just had a lot of good buying experiences with them.