1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

DR Hi Beams VS Dunlop Super Bright Steels

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Stan_da_man, Dec 6, 2017.

1. Stan_da_man

Stan_da_man

Aug 29, 2006
    UK
    Never tried the SB Steels so curious to see how they compare to the Hi Beams. Anyone had experience of these two strings?

2. I'd say they are pretty similar with the Hi-Beams having a little more brightness to the string. Seeing as the SBs are generally cheaper, I'd throw caution to the wind and give them a try for a set.

BrentSimons likes this.
  3. Stan_da_man

Stan_da_man

Aug 29, 2006
    UK
    How do they compare in tension, feel and longevity?

4. If memory serves, the tension and feel are similar (anyone else care to comment? Please do so now!). I'd say longevity will also be similar. Saying that, I'm not sure I can definitively comment on longevity - I made the mistake of using Fat Beams, before Hi Beams and Marcus Miller Dunlop Super Brights before regular Dunlop Super Brights. In both cases, I did wait to go back to my original choice but I was desperate to go back to the Fats & MM DSBs.
    Someone else, help the OP out!

5. mmbongo

mmbongo Dilly Dilly! Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Very similar, as they both share the same DNA. The string designer at Dunlop is an ex-DR guy.

eriky4003 and Root 5 like this.
  6. Toptube

Toptube

Feb 9, 2009
    When new, Dunlops are punchier in the mids and fuller in the lows. And as they age, I'd say Dunlops are overall notably fuller sounding.

7. damos

damos

Feb 6, 2006
    Dunlop SB are good strings but DR HI Beam have a more longevity. I prefer HI beam string balance, but SB have a little more tension because of hex core. I love the two.

Bassist30 likes this.
  8. My string of choice at one time was the DR Hi-Beams but I gave the Dunlops a try after I had to buy strings in a pinch and none of my local shops had DRs in. I was perfectly happy with the Dunlops and haven’t gone back. The performance is on par and I have a slight preference for the Dunlops. The price difference is the cherry on top. I’ve actually moved on to Dunlop Nickle Super Brights, still plenty bright but better mids and they last longer for me.

mmbongo likes this.
  9. Coolhandjjl

Coolhandjjl Supporting Member

Oct 13, 2010
    Appleton
    In the seven years I have been member here, the two new strings I've seen as genuine 'game changers' are EB Slinky Cobalt Flats and Dunlop Super Bright Steels.

YMMV

10. Stan_da_man

Stan_da_man

Aug 29, 2006
    UK
    Thanks guys - I'm basically after Hi Beams but a little less bright, a little more mids and the same sort of tension and feel. These sound like the string I may be after.

eriky4003 likes this.
  11. scubaduba

scubaduba Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Dec 23, 2003
    Michigan
    I've used both. Have a set of super brights on my Bossa Jazz right now. I'll be going back to Hi Beams. I don't care for the feel of the Dunlops. They are rough. Hi Beams just seem more refined to me. Similar in sound, but just better feeling.

eriky4003 likes this.
  12. Toptube

Toptube

Feb 9, 2009
    I agree, DR has it going on in the feel of string to string balance. All of their models.

Superbrights are better than many, in this regard. But DR and Fodera are probably the best at this single aspect.

eriky4003 likes this.
  13. Bassist30

Bassist30 Supporting Member

Mar 19, 2004
    NEW YORK
    I used the Dunlop Marcus Miller and prefer the Hi beams. I still have not found a better string for me. I have not tried the Dunlop SB but the hi Beams I found to be significantly brighter and longer lasting than the Marcus Miller Dunlop's. But this Tread isn't about The MM Dunlop's. So I should give the SB a chance.

BrentSimons likes this.
  14. Stan_da_man

Stan_da_man

Aug 29, 2006
    UK
    Placed the order - just waiting now for them to arrive!

15. Good man, Stan!
    If they don't agree with you, I'd recommend DR Lo-Riders which will have a bit more tension. Or DR Fat Beams with a lot more booty than the Hi-Beams but a similar feel.
    Enjoy!

BrentSimons likes this.
  16. Stan_da_man

Stan_da_man

Aug 29, 2006
    UK
    They arrived yesterday and I've already strung them up. Initial thoughts:

They're not as bright as Hi Beams
    They're not as smooth as Hi Beams
    They have more mids than Hi Beams
    They have around the same tension but they seem to flex quite a bit more than Hi Beams? Not sure if this is just me.

I do like them so far...

andrew, dralionux and eriky4003 like this.