1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

DR Hi-Beams vs. Ernie Balls

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by MistaMarko, Feb 18, 2008.

1. MistaMarko

MistaMarko Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2006
    USA
    Been using EB's for years now, but local guitar shop was out of my favorite EB Super Slinkys, so I picked up some 45-125 DR Hi-Beams. Which are better?

2. mr pablo

mr pablo

Oct 22, 2007
    Fife, Scotland
    I've just got me a set of 50-110 high beams and first impressions are realy good although I have to play a little lighter as I tune down a step to D (DGCF) as they DR's are a lower tension than the EB power slinkys I usualy use. The DR's sound good and after probably 20+ hours playing on them they still sound pretty new.

To answer your question give them a try and let your ears decide, there are plenty of folks out there who swear by both brands and will give X Y Z reasons why they are better.

3. onlyclave

onlyclave

Oct 28, 2005
    Seattle
    D'Addario :)

4. MistaMarko

Feb 3, 2006
    USA
    Well, this sucks. I accidentaly cut my E-string too short (was being careless/in a hurry) on my new hi-beams, and it was so short it would'nt even reach the E-string tuning peg o_O.

So I got an old Ernie Ball reg. slinky .100 that i only used for like 2 months..and im gunna boil it and throw it on..hopefully it'll be okay .. : /

Is it bad to mix strings like this?

5. onlyclave

onlyclave

Oct 28, 2005
    Seattle
    The neck won't break off of your bass but you find that it will be very difficult to get it in tune. The intonation will be totally off no matter what you do.

6. MistaMarko

Feb 3, 2006
    USA
    Well since I work at that guitar shop they broke a set for me and gave me a spare .105 E string. Now I'm good to go.

7. 59jazz

59jazz Infinite Rider on the Big Dogma Supporting Member

I really liked the reg slinkys on my Bongo 5r, but the DR Hi-Beams, are a bit tighter tension wise. So it's Hi-Beams for now, until I find something else.