DR : Hi-Beams vs Fat-Beams

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by NJXT, Jun 10, 2001.

1. NJXT

Jan 9, 2001
    Lyon, FRANCE
    I recently switch to DR-Hi Beams on my Jazz, after reading so many good things on them on TalkBass (well, this site should be heavily sponsored by some brands because it seems to generate a lot of business for them ;) )
    So, I really dig the DR but only the Hi-Beams are available in my town.
    SO I was wondering how the "Fat" ones sounds compared to the Hi-Beams (if Mister Marcus recommands them, can it be bad ? :D ) ?
  2. actinglikeafreak

actinglikeafreak Guest

Apr 24, 2000
    Puerto Rico
    Well it sorta depends which sound your looking for, telling that you want "Fat" Beams you sorta want a heavy rock sound (just my assumption) but its alwaysgood to experiment. Also you are right i have a pair of Lo-Riders from DR myself and i also got the idea for buying them in Talkbass, anyway their right now my fav strings cuz im into that funk-metal type stuff and they are just wonderful, i also wanted to buy the Hi-Beams, so tell me how they are.
    Well back to your question, the Fat Beams are pretty "Fat" and thick, a friend of mine was playing them and he plays with a pick, saying that he prefers them cuz theirthick, meaty and their strong and stiff but still flexible enough to bend and gives u a KILLER sound.
    I LOVE MY DR LO-RIDERS, but are the HiBeams thinner or better for slap'n'pop?
  3. Actually Dr FatBeams are not physically fatter then other strings. They are available in three standard gauges (40-100, 45-100, 45-105). I use all the Dr string lines on my various basses with the exception of Fat Beams. I haven't needed new strings since their release. My favorites were DR Sunbeams for the longest time, but I am really liking my latest set of HiBeams. A very rich sounding string IMO.

Maybe if you can't get them at your local shop you can get them on the internet. Try:
  4. NJXT

Jan 9, 2001
    Lyon, FRANCE
    Well Mister actinglikeafreak (hehe ... like that name !), like chbecker I found Hi Beams "mucho" rich with lots of nice highs (but not agressive), nice and tight low meds.
    They seem very responsive (but with less tension than my previous Fender's).
    I use Dean Markley's on my 5er and, though it's difficult to compare since the two sets are in very different aging state, I found the DR "richer" in harmonics.
    But I have to let them age a little to really judge them.
  5. seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    My vote goes to the Lo Riders for DR's best all around string.

They sound awesome for most mainstream styles, and they funk really well too. I have tried the Hi Beams, Fat Beams...but I quickly went back to the Lo Riders.

I even think the Lo Riders have a better slap and pop tone than the Fat Beams, but that is purely a personal preference. I use only stainless strings, so the Lo Riders are bright enough for that killer snap, but also have an emphasis in the lower frequency that you don't get from DR's other stainless strings.

Aside from the Rotos I use, Lo Riders are on all my basses. I feel comfortable using them for any style. If you are interested in the Fat Beams though, I say try em out. Who knows, they might turn out to be your favorite, strings are very subjective. In my opinion, DR does not have a bad string in their lineup, just different ones.
  6. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

That two stringer must be a custom set. :D

7. NJXT

Jan 9, 2001
    Lyon, FRANCE
    Once again, thx rick.

I might be looking for those extra mids you mention.
    And as I understand it, you get more mids than with the Hi Beams, but don't loose (too much ?) of the tons of harmonics, reactivity and brightness of the Hi beams.
    Now I have to find some of them in stores ... that might be a real crusade.
  8. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Nathanael - Definitely bigger mids. Just last night I was playing with another band. We did well-rehearsed stuff from their older sets, including Miles Davis, "All Blues," Aretha's "Respect," "Stormy Monday (too many versions to list), Spencer Davis Group's "Gimme Some Lovin'. Now that stuff takes some round tone, mostly big low end and assertive mids. The "Marcus" strings nailed it. A little preamp and amp tweaking, and they put out respectable, raw, rock tones. Slapping and popping? It's there big time.

Sometimes, I wonder if we all wouldn't be mutually served if we just bought and shipped stuff for each other that is outrageous or hard to find in our countries, on a quid pro quo basis.
    For instance, it sounds like you have Warwick gear practically in your front yard. In the midwest US, you can go years without seeing Warwick in person. All the great-looking stuff and luthiers you have in France and Germany that we only see in pictures in the USA. :rolleyes:
  9. NJXT

Jan 9, 2001
    Lyon, FRANCE
    That's right.
    For example, you can find Warwick basses and amps in almost every music store.
    The luthiers' products are not that common (except "big" ones like Vigier, Lag perhaps or Shack).
    Alembic are not commonly found either.
    On the other side, you can find a lot of Yamaha, Ibanez, DanElectro, Fender, Squier, BassCollection, MusicMan, Hohner, Gibson, Steinberger, Aria, Cort, Ovation ...
    But I never saw a G&L, Carvin, Pedulla, Lull, Zon, Sadowsky, Conklin, Ken Smith, Modulus (though there might be some somewhere), Wal .... nor ... Rogue :D
    Even if I had the bucks to buy a Sadowsky for example, since I can't even try one (except perhaps in one or two stores in the country), I may be hesitating a lot.
  10. Bernie

Dec 12, 1999
    Everyone has theyre personal preference on strings.One thing for sure though.You cant go wrong with any DR strings.Good luck!