1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

DR Hi Beams vs Lighter Gauge DR SS Lo Riders

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Barnabus, Oct 9, 2013.

1. Barnabus

Barnabus

Oct 7, 2003
    I like the tension of DR Hi Beams (45 to 105). Was wondering if anyone knows what guage of DR SS Lo Riders would be comparable in tension, with each set tuned to EADG. Thanks in advance for any info on this.

2. bunkaroo

bunkaroo Supporting Member

Apr 25, 2003
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses
    I can't answer the question but I've been thinking about this myself. I had the 5 and 6 string sets of the SS Lo-Riders with a 130 B on my 35" scale Spectors and I liked the sound a lot, but the tension was too tight for my taste, especially on the fretting hand. So I went back to Fat Beams which I think are the same tension as Hi-Beams and like the feel of those better.

I'm thinking about trying the 40-60-80-100-125 set of the SS Lo-Riders. Right now I'm trying out ProSteels in various gauges and like what I'm hearing but the tension is a little low.

3. madbassplaya

madbassplaya

Dec 28, 2007
    That's what I did. Great results in my opinion.

Pm'd you.

4. Mike M.

Mike M.

Feb 14, 2010
    I just put a "custom set" of DR Nickle Lo Riders on my 5 string Jazz bass last night. I went with 130-105-85-60-40. Didn't have a whole lot of time to try them but offhand I'm really glad I went with the 60 and the 40. I tried a 65 and a 45 on a differant bass once and the tension of those two strings was way, way too tight for me. The 60 and 40 was much more playable for me.

But my first general impression was how good the low B felt. I was using D'Addario XL's (130 B) and the DR 130 had just that little bit of extra stiffness. Not by tons, but just that little bit seemed to make a favorable differance for me.

But again, I didn't have much time to really try them out.

5. bunkaroo

Apr 25, 2003
    Just wanted to bump this to say I finally tried the 40-60-80-100-125 Lo-Riders and I think I may have finally found some strings to stay with for a while. I've always been reluctant to go to lighter gauges for fear of losing "beefiness" and I've never played less than a 130 on a B.

I am really liking the feel of these on the 35" scale Spectors. There's enough give to accommodate my left-hand technique but the strings don't feel to loose under my pick attack. I should have probably tried this before I spent a lot of money and time on some custom gauge strings that seem popular here. :)

6. pickles

pickles Gold Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    I felt like it was a downgrade with my bass, it just sounded smaller with none of the magic of either high beams or medium gauge lo riders. The whole point of lo riders is to have a stiff string with very low action.

7. austentaciousC

austentaciousC

Mar 17, 2010
    Nothing feels better than light gauge strings on a 35" scale. When I was playing Spector exclusively I used daddario light mediums 45 65 80 100 130. It was heaven, with the long scale and emg active system I never noticed loss in tone.

8. bunkaroo

Apr 25, 2003
    Agreed - I'm not too worried about the Spectors sounding small.