DR Hi Beams vs Lo Rider

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Funky-Wunky, Aug 25, 2013.

1. Funky-Wunky

Funky-Wunky

Jun 15, 2004
    Maryland
    Can anyone comment on the difference between these two stainless sets? Thanks.

2. bass12

bass12 Blistering barnacles! Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2008
    Montreal, Canada
    Quite different strings, in my opinion. The Hi-Beams are very flexible. I use them on one of my 35" scale five string basses and they work great. Tried them on my 34" five string and the B didn't have enough tension (floppy B). The Lo-Riders are significantly stiffer and, tension-wise, they worked well on the 34" fiver (no floppy B). Sound-wise I much prefer the Hi-Beams. They're not as mid-strong as some strings but they are quite rich-sounding to my ears and very focused. I find the Lo-Riders sound choked in the midrange - as if the string isn't being allowed to speak fully. To me the Lo-Riders are a more "introverted" sounding string while the Hi-Beams are more "extraverted". But I've heard people say virtually the opposite so it will be interesting to hear others' feedback on the subject.

3. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    Hi beams have a round core. Loriders have a hex core, which allow for lower action with less buzzing, thus the name "low-rider". Hibeams are more flexible than the stiffer loriders.

4. bunkaroo

bunkaroo

Apr 25, 2003
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses
    This is not meant to be snarky at all - but just do a Google search for Hi-beams vs Lo-Riders. It will point you at a lot of threads here on the subject. I've searched this a lot myself.

5. mmbongo

mmbongo Regular Human Bartender Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    You might want to try the .135 HiBeam to cure the floppiness. You can buy it as a single string at www.bassstringsonline.com

You can either build a whole custom set or just get a 4 string set and add the .135

6. AEVAREX

AEVAREX

Jun 10, 2013
    Western Ma.
    This helped me out greatly. Audio samples of different DR strings.

http://bassemporium.com/?p=4444

7. DerTeufel

DerTeufel

Nov 11, 2011
    Wildomar, CA
    I have used low riders 45-125 for the last 9 months. Great strings, but pretty stiff. There is a lot of high mid content. Today I put on a set of hi-beams in the same gauges and was able to keep the action at the same height. Much more focused to my ears, especially in the low mids. I thought the low B was a touch floppy, but it isn't so much that I can't use it. They are a pleasure to play.

Either are a great choice.

8. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 19, 2021