Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

DR Hi beams vs. Lo Riders

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by gsummer, Apr 15, 2001.

1. gsummer

gsummer

Feb 11, 2001
    Ok, I am going to buy some new strings for my bass and I want to try DRs. What are the main differences between these two(Hi beams and LO-riders)? Which is better for slap playing? which is better for blues, jazz or funk? I don't like strings that are too bright. I also like nickel strings. I know the hi beams don't come in nickel, but if people think they are better for what I want I might get them anyway.

Galen

2. Sascrotch

Sascrotch

Feb 18, 2001
    Costa Mesa, CA
    The Hi-Beams are better for slapping

3. seamus

seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    Jersey
    I like the Lo Riders better, the Hi Beams sound thin in comparison to me.

The Hi Beams are probably better for slap though because they are brighter.

4. DanGouge

DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    Canada!
    You could also check out DR Sunbeams... They're a nice sound, bright but phat and full-sounding.

5. rsautrey

rsautrey Banned

Jul 27, 2000
    If you don't like strings that are too bright, then I'd stay far away from the Hi-Beams. The Lo-Riders are pretty bright too but have a more defined bottom. I've never used nickel DRs but they make Sunbeams and Lo-Riders in nickel.

6. HI- BEAMS FOR SLAP ESPECAILY IF YOU HAVE A 5 AND DR.'S WEB SIGHT SHOW'S HI-BEAMS IN NIKLE AS WELL .LO RIDER'S B STRING WAS TO MUDDY.PERFECT SET UP WOULD BE (E-A-D-G) IN LO-RIDER'S AND (B) STRING IN HIGH BEAM FOR THAT CLEAR DEFINITION!

7. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Do you like the sound of Marcus Miller, who is reknown for his tone, (slap and otherwise)? He was using Hi-Beams but I think he uses DR's "Marcus" signature strings nowadays.

Lo-Riders wouldn't disappoint you either I don't think, but they aren't so bright and sparkly like Hi-Beams when you play fingerstyle.

8. winston

winston Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    Berkeley, CA
    Lo-Riders are definitely good for fattening up a bright sounding bass-they worked well on my StingRay. Hi-Beams have a really full, snappy sound that cuts through well. DR advertises that their strings last longer than other brands but I haven't found this to be the case-though I install them properly, play with clean hands and wipe down the strings after playing, they still go dead on me after a couple months, just like other strings. I've since switched to Dean Markley Nickel Steel Bass which sound just as good to me but are cheaper and actually last longer, so...

9. I would have to recommend the DR Sunbeams. They have a lot of the highs that are charactoristic of Stainless Steel, without the harshness because they are Nickel plated. They also (IMO) have accurate mids and decent lows as well.

10. Copycat

Copycat Supporting Member

Nov 14, 2000
    Pittsburgh, PA, USA
    Can't you buy nickel Hi-Beams? I'm pretty sure I saw them on juststrings.com. If so, that might provide the best balance of brightness and depth. I use Sunbeams on my fretless, so I don't know how they'd translate to fretted. But check out juststrings. I think they give you a paragraph that describes the sound of each string, which might prove helpful in this case.

11. I checked Juststrings.com and DRStrings.com and the verdict is Hi-Beams are Stainless Steel. You can, however get the Lo-Riders in either Stainless or Nickel. I beleive that Sun-beams are Nickel plated Hi-Beams.