1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

DR HiBeams vs. FatBeams? Same String???

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Mook, Jan 8, 2012.

1. Mook

Mook

Jun 19, 2002
    So.......both are Steel wrap on round core.......so, how can they be different strings? Is the Steel a different mix?

What's the diff between Hi's and Fat's? If the gauges are the same.....is the Steel alloy different?

Mook

2. SLaPiNFuNK

SLaPiNFuNK Commercial User

Jul 28, 2006
    LA California
    Owner: BassStringsOnline.com
    FatBeams are wound slower producing a darker tone.

There may be other differences as far as the inner wraps of the string, but thats the biggest difference.

3. Coolhandjjl

Coolhandjjl Supporting Member

Oct 13, 2010
    Appleton
    I've recently tried both. Fat Beams have deeper booty shaking lows with similar highs as Hi-Beams.

4. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    I used to be a Hi Beam player, many years. I tried some Fat Beams a few weeks ago and they were awesome. More mids/low mids and really punchy. I may be a convert. Gonna try Hi Beams again and see.

5. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

That about sums it up. I prefer Hi Beams myself, since they seem a bit more balanced, or at least, for me, let that beautiful airy top end really sing. However, the Fat Beams feel similarly smooth and slinky and do seem to have more low frequency information in them.

As a comparison, the Lo Rider steels have much more upper mid information, and really bring out the 'grind' in instruments, versus the airy upper treble of the 'Beam' strings.

6. geoff_in_nc

geoff_in_nc

Dec 13, 2008
    Raleigh, NC
    That's very good info to have. I'm using Fat Beams now and like them very much, but they almost have too much going on in the treble region for me on my Peavey Cirrus. I'd like a little more of that grind I think, so I might be trying some Lo Riders. Thanks for adding that in.

7. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

Also, be aware that the Lo Riders will feel 'stiffer and rougher' due to the more traditional hex core design, versus the slinky, smooth 'low tension' feel of the 'Beams' models.

8. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    Very true. On my Jazz basses, I love the grind from Lo-Riders, which sounds awesome in a rock mix. It's so pronounced that you can hear it acoustically.

9. Coolhandjjl

Coolhandjjl Supporting Member

Oct 13, 2010
    Appleton
    That's why I originally changed from Hi-Beams to the steel Lo-Riders. Great grind and growl on my Ric. But I felt I was missing some of those booty shaking lows. :D
    Hence the Fat Beams. If I feel I am missing to much grind, I will go back to the steel Lo-Riders.

10. SteveC

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    That must have been why I didn't like Low Riders when I tried them. I just bought some Hi Beams (Fat Beams were out of stock at the store) to put on my newly acquired jazz. We'll see how it sounds.

11. nervous

nervous Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2010
    Beautiful Central, NY
    It will sound glorious! :D

12. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    I had a hard time differentiating the difference in HB's vs FB's. I have duplicate basses and used DR's for years, and maybe the minute characteristics of each bass made it so I couldn't point a finger at the exact 'ah-ha' of HB/FB claimed differences, even if I restrung 2, 3, or 4 basses up on the same day. I loved both and simply used whatever was at the store.

But the first time I tried Lowriders on a couple basses, it sounded like I strung them up with dead highbeams, and man were they more stiff. IMO of course! :ninja:

13. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

Very different strings (Lo Riders and Hi Beams) and both sound GREAT. Different tone (mostly in the upper mids), WAY different feel.

If you find you are missing some 'grind' and brightenss, and feel like you have to turn your tweeter down, then the Lo Riders would take care of that.

I'm a HUGE Hi Beam fan myself with my Alleva-Coppolo 70's style ash/maple J. Literally perfect to my ear. However, if I wanted that more classic 'ganky grindy' 70's J bass tone, the Lo Riders are great.

14. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

Yes, more upper mids than upper treble, and yes, a more traditional 'hex core' feel. Very different strings that will appeal to different players.

The Lo Riders are not particularly unique in feel and tone, and would make those who use Sadowsky strings or Dean Markley's or whatever pretty happy. The Hi Beams and Fat Beams are unique in tone and feel. Nothing else on the market like them, for better or worse depending on your tone and 'feel' goal!

15. SteveC

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    Well, I put some Hi Beams on my Jazz last night and it sounds amazing. Guess I'm back to the Hi Beam camp for now.

16. nervous

nervous Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2010
    Beautiful Central, NY
    ;)

17. SteveC

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    I should have written glorious. Sorry. I'm a little tired today.

18. sidez81

sidez81

Mar 16, 2011
    QLD, Australia
    Im used to using neons/sunbeams but I tried Hi-beams and WOW GEE-ZIZ CRYST ZOMG! a WHOLE other world of amazing sound... so I am really lookin forward to slappin on some fat beams and givin them a go.

19. millerfreak

millerfreak

Jun 29, 2008
    I'm a loyal FatBeams user here.. Just amazing strings really, I never heard anything that comes close to it. It really makes it easy for some of us who have passive jazz basses but don't want to mod to get that modern tone, almost like putting a pair of EMG pickups.

20. steamthief

steamthief

Jan 25, 2006
    Mentone Beach
    I wish Fat Beams were hex core - I loved the sound, but my playing got too sloppy with the lower tension.