Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

DR High Beams on my Lakland 55-02

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Heavy_E, Jun 2, 2003.

1. Heavy_E

Heavy_E

Jul 2, 2002
    Alabama
    I just put a set of DR High Beams on my Lakland 55-02... WOW what a difference. It is like playing a totally different Bass. The tone is great... can't wait to get to practice tonight.
    :D

2. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    yeah.. I just tried DR high beams for the first time.. but them on my bass yesterday.. WOW.. they are great.. I only bought them because I was up at Sam Ash yesterday and one of the workers knew I had an Elrick and wanted to see it.. so I bring it in.. he starts playing it.. some really disgusting gospel bass player walks in and just plays the hell out of it.. both of them say "man this thing sounds great with dead strings... you need new strings..." i knew I needed new strings but I didn't really have the money for them.. but I have a lot of gigs comming up.. so I went with the DRs.. and they are great and punchy..

sorry for the ramble;)

3. DR highbeams are indeed great strings. I usually have them on my Jazz, now I've got Smith Slapmasters. SO far I havent had the cahnce to get them on my 5 string Schecter because I've been using Dadarrios on that. RIght now I'm using Foderas which are a big difference, but I can't afford those all the time, so my next set will most likely be DR highbeams because they are great strings at half the price. I havent used DR's since last summer but I plan on getting some as soon as I get some father's day gifts and brothers b-day. Ive been saving for a bass cab which should arrive this week hopefully, so now its time for a string change.

4. DB5

DB5

Jul 3, 2001
    Austin Texas
    I’ve just recently put DR Sunbeams, nickel on my 55-02 love the tone, but the B string is a little week. Anyone have any experience in regards to tonal differences in the high beams & sunbeams & low riders :confused:

5. I recently bought a new set of DRs at Guitar Center and the dumb@ss at the counter chastised me the entire time i was there that DRs do nothing but eat your frets and dont sound any better than other cheaper strings. God how I loathe that place and all the morons who work there.

6. pshift

pshift

May 30, 2003
    Downstate NY
    A set of DR Lowriders changed the tone of my Carvin LB-75 big-time!:D

7. Oh man, Hi-beams did wonders to my Stingray and put the EBs and Ken Smiths I previously used to shame!

8. DaveB

DaveB

Mar 29, 2000
    Toronto Ontario
    If you like them now, wait until you get to rehearsal.Where Hi Beams really shine is how they cut through the band mix.

9. DB5

DB5

Jul 3, 2001
    Austin Texas
    How long do the Hi beams last and retain there fullness :confused: :bassist:

10. DaveB

DaveB

Mar 29, 2000
    Toronto Ontario
    I've kept Hi Beams on as long as six months. When they lose that high end "zing" after a couple of weeks they settle in and remain clear and punchy for months.

11. FunkySpoo

FunkySpoo Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2002
    If you like the High beams then you should try the Fat Beams. They are by far the best strings I've ever tried.

12. Heavy_E

Heavy_E

Jul 2, 2002
    Alabama
    Cool... I was at band practice last night and I am still amazed how much better my bass sounds with the DR Hi Beams. Everytime I play they get better sounding.

:bassist:

13. BassMan2000

BassMan2000

Sep 27, 2000
    Canada
    Yeah, I've been using DRs for the last 5 years. They have been the most consistent string and by far the best sounding. They have a nice sound when they are warn in.

I'm just having difficulties trying to find a heavey guage for my spector 50-110.