DR High Beams

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by amos, Dec 19, 2003.

1. amos

Oct 23, 2003
    SE Portland Oregon
    I just put these on my bass and they feel amazing but are sort of hurting my ears with zingyness.

I had some lo-riders back in the day but all I remember is them lasting a while.

should I try lo-riders or another type of DR string since I like the way they feel? or am I going to end up with similar results again.
  2. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

First off, I love DR's...period.

But, yeah, the Hi Beams are off the hook in terms of brightness.

I use their stainless steel "Marcus" (a.k.a. "Fat Beams") and Lo-Riders. They start out "bright" but get more "round" and "full" after you break them in.

On the other hand, you might try their Bootzillas. From what I've been told, their long-life coating dulls their tone. But the comments about that "duller" tone haven't been complimentary by those who like DR's for their "zing."

Then, there's always DR Sunbeams.
  3. RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    Lower your highs a bit and when they get broke in they will be just fine..Great strings! I am a DR lover myself.
  4. panazza

Nov 23, 2003
    I put on the same strings a month ago and after a coulple of weeks the "zing" went away... I think these are great strings just wait some days and you'll see...
    anyway after I put them on my bass started to zing very much but it was because of the setup that went wrong changing strings... after I took it to a luthier for a new setup it just sounded right without any fret buzz... and the sound is amazing
  5. Fo' Shizzle

Fo' Shizzle

Aug 28, 2003
    Hi-beams are the finest strings in the world to my ear. They are very bright when you put them on: Ricplaya is right. Roll out the top until they calm down a little.
    Also, they seem to be the only strings I've ever used that I don't kill after 8 hours of beating on them!! Fo' tends to get a little carried away!!

6. i think fat-beam is the best, fat and funky
  7. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I just put High Beams on my Zon fretless. Can't wait to hear it at church tomorrow through my good amp!
  8. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

UPDATE: Man alive!!! These strings absolutely kill on a fretless! More mwaahhh than I have heard from my Zon, ever.
  9. I put on a set of HighBeams on my TBC.....at least 6 months ago.

And they still sounf GREAT.

I love these strings.

40 thumbs up:bassist: :bassist:
  10. Check out Bass Emporium. He has got the Taperwound DR's for $15.99. Iwas all over Austin today and the least expensive DR's I saw were $25.00.
  11. jazzbassnerd

Aug 26, 2002
    does anyone know how DR Black Beauties high beams compare to their High Beams?? I love the High Beams and I am very interested in coated strings. Thanks!

12. I get mine for $15 a pack. :D
  13. I tried some black beauties on one of my four strings for the sole purpose of matching my black hardware; and I have to say they don't feel too bad. Not quite as bright as the regular hi-beam, but still pretty good. They feel a bit slicker, almost to the point of being harsh on my fingers (kind of a burning feel when I slide fast). In short I love them for their looks and I like them because they are playable. But as far as a comparison with Hi-Beams goes, they aren't very competitive. Hi-Beams win that battle hands down.
  14. amos

Oct 23, 2003
    SE Portland Oregon
    update: after a couple practices they are now broken in and sound great!!
  15. jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    i, too, heartily enjoy highbeams on my fretless warwick.
  16. seansbrew

seansbrew Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2000
    Mesa AZ.
    Just played a gig tonight having strung my Modulus Q5 with Lo Riders, My bass was alive and growling like A hungry dog. This is the first time I have tried the Lo Riders, I usually string with the high beams. They seemed a little more aggresive than the Hi beams. I cant wait to try the Fat Beams It will probably be hard to choose the one I like best.
  17. That's sick. MORE INFO!!!
  18. I'm using high beams for the first time on my Pedulla. First thing, I made a recording and wow ... beautiful sound, I'm very, very impressed. Still getting used to the low tension and overall feel. Great sound!
  19. RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    I found the Fat Beams to be not as fat and deep in tone as Low riders. I think they are more designed for slapping, but thats my 2 cents, hate to see you spend the money and be disappointed.