1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

DR highbeams:was it something I said? or was it me slapping you around

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by the wako kid, Jan 17, 2012.

1. the wako kid

the wako kid

May 11, 2011
    Denver,CO
    Dr highbeams are marketed as strings that play great and last a long time,and while I agree with the first part,I am forced to disagree with the second. these strings lasted a little over two weeks. I went to play some slap and pop and the G stretched out and fell apart.I understand that weather has a lot to do with it,but the bass was kept in a stable environment.does slap and pop destroy strings,or could it be something going on with my bass or? I've never had a set of strings crumble so fast and I'm inclined to ask. I have a johnson precision bass.

2. madbassplaya

madbassplaya

Dec 28, 2007
    What do you mean?

3. mannysilvers

mannysilvers Commercial User

Jun 20, 2009
    NYC
    Engineer, Electro-Harmonix
    I once had a DR G break right out of the package, after that I didn't use them for a while. That being said I'm using High Beams right now and I've had no problems. Maybe if you email them a complaint they'll send you a free pack.

4. mmbongo

mmbongo Dilly Dilly! Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    I've never broken a DR, but it can happen. They will replace it. In the meantime, check your saddles for burrs.

5. the wako kid

the wako kid

May 11, 2011
    Denver,CO
    I popped on the G,and it came unwound by the bridge(unfixable) and fell apart.I had to restring it with a three year old ernie ball I Took off my friends bass.

6. the wako kid

the wako kid

May 11, 2011
    Denver,CO
    Burrs?like little bits of dirt and debris?or places where the metal is scarred up?

7. SLaPiNFuNK

SLaPiNFuNK Commercial User

Jul 28, 2006
    LA California
    Owner: BassStringsOnline.com
    More information on the specific instrument / way the string is installed (through body / top load / etc) can help diagnose.

Burrs on the bridge saddle being sharp pieces of metal that may be cutting into the string.

Strings don't last for ever for everyone. Some players they last longer for and some they don't for others... Depends on the player and many other factors.

If it were a defective string you would have known sooner. Also, just double checking, before you cut the string, did you bend and crimp?

8. the wako kid

the wako kid

May 11, 2011
    Denver,CO
    didnt cut them at all.string thru bridge precision bass.

9. SLaPiNFuNK

SLaPiNFuNK Commercial User

Jul 28, 2006
    LA California
    Owner: BassStringsOnline.com
    Check to make sure that the bend of the string by the string through area is not in contact with a sharp angle metal part of the bridge. If it is, it could have been digging into the string.

10. nextdimension

nextdimension

Jan 30, 2008
    Austin, TX
    I've had the same problem with DR's on two different occasions. I doubt it's a problem with my set up or the way I'm putting them on because I've never had a problem with the Slinky's I usually use and I always put them on the same way.
    I did have a bur problem with an old bass, was breaking strings every couple weeks, it got expensive.

11. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    I regularly got 12 to 14 months per set of Highbeams, and they still had some brightness and snap left to them after that long. I've never broke a DR.

12. jgroh

jgroh Supporting Member

Sep 14, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    My DRs last a long long time, one of the reasons I really like them. And, it sounds like you didnt bend it as instructed at the tuner correctly and it came undone.

13. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

That hasn't been my experience with Hi-Beams. As I've said many times before, they are the best bass strings ever in my opinion.

Since your string evidently broke because of the bridge, here's something that, while it's not THE solution to the problem, it doesn't harm the instrument/string and helps to alleviate the situation: Rub a pencil on the saddles, exactly where the string rests, before putting it on. Graphite works as a lubricant and you also remove some debris in the saddle.

14. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    Well one caveat there (mainly on DR's part) is assuming a string with a bent end fits down the tuner post hole. And for sure there are many basses that a bent string end won't fit in (smaller Gotohs and Schallers comes to mind). Reguardless, I still have never had DR's break or come unravelled leaving them unbent.

15. the wako kid

the wako kid

May 11, 2011
    Denver,CO
    the string saddles were free of burrs and nicks,I've only restrung this bass 3 or 4 times,so I don't think I put that much wear on the saddles.I contacted DR customer service and they were very courteous and thoughtful,and are currently sending me a new pack.the string broke at the bridge,not the tuning peg.

16. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

Probably just something funky with that string. If it happens again, I'd take your bass in and have that bridge saddle looked at, since there are a zillion of us using Hi Beams with no issues. Even strings that are the same gauge as what you have been using, but from a different manufacturer, can sit a smidge differently on the saddle.

17. lowendgenerator

lowendgenerator

Mar 26, 2006
    CHI/NWI
    I have DR strings dating back to 2007 on some of my basses. With liberal use of denatured alcohol and a light touch, these things can last forever.

18. southpaw420

southpaw420

Aug 25, 2007
    I once broke a G on a set of Sunbeams. Other than that, I have never broken a DR string and I slap the shiz out of them. Currently using Hi beams with no problems.

19. +1

I've been playing Fat Beams pretty heavily for a few years now and they've lasted 2-3 times longer than any other string I've played. Don't get discouraged with them over one bad set (no company's perfect) and if nothing else you can use this opportunity to test out their customer service :D

20. bertbassplayer

bertbassplayer Supporting Member

Jul 7, 2000
    DFW, TX
    I've had string breakage and string unraveling issues with probably every string company at least once in the last 10+ years I've been playing bass. What gets me to buy them again is how they handle that issue. DR has been pretty good about replacing defective sets. I've used other companies that have simply just said "We had a couple of defective sets go out."