Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

DR Jonas Hellborg Sigs

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by NicJimBass, Feb 2, 2005.

1. NicJimBass

NicJimBass Is this thing on!? Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Lancaster, OH
    Endorsing Artist: DR Strings, Source Audio, Hipshot
    Has anyone used or even seen these? I saw an ad in Bass Player and am interested in getting my hands on a set, but I can't find much about them.

2. rsautrey

rsautrey Banned

Jul 27, 2000
    Here's what I know. I'm in contact with Tony from DR strings on a regular basis and here is what he had to say. DR doesn't 100% know whether these strings will be produced for the public. Jonas Hellborg is a good friend of Mark Dronge (the "D" in DR) and was happy using their Hi-Beams. This was several years ago. At that time, DR was experimenting with different alloys and winding techniques (which they are always doing) and they made a string with titanium alloy and a single wrap. All large diameter roundwound strings are made by wrapping multiple layers upon each other to get the desired gauge. These have a single wrap. I don't quite understand how this is possible but these two things combined (titanium alloy & single wrap) create a string that supposedly has a very unique tone....most notably a stronger fundamental tone. When these were sent out to various people for testing, Jonas was one of the only ones who fell in love with this string....and they have been making them for him ever since. So, Tony at DR was quite surprised to learn that the Jonas Hellborg custom strings had gone public evn though the company has not formally decided whether they will offer them to the public. Tony also mentions that these strings are even more difficult and time consuming to make than their standard sets. Sounds to me like they will never see the light of day. I don't think they will sell very well if that is what DR is ultimately concerned about. Sorry I can't elaborate more :)

3. NicJimBass

NicJimBass Is this thing on!? Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Lancaster, OH
    Endorsing Artist: DR Strings, Source Audio, Hipshot
    So, they custom make them? Must be pretty pricey! Oh well!