1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

DR K3 COATED BLACK BEAUTIES

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Andrew Welsh, Mar 13, 2016.

1. Andrew Welsh

Andrew Welsh

Jun 23, 2015
    Hey, I need new strings for my precision. I dig the color and was wondering if anyone had experience with this string or coated strings in general. Feel? Tone? Thanks.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2016
  2. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

They feel weird to the touch, like having clammy hands, but the tone is similar to other coated strings. They're not super bright but they last for a little longer. I have a white set on my Carvin right now but I have tried black and green as well. I'm not a big fan but they look great.

NBD - Carvin LB76 with all the bells and whistles

3. Andrew Welsh

Andrew Welsh

Jun 23, 2015
    Thanks for the input. Is there anything you would recommend? I mostly play rock music and I like regular 50-105 strings.

4. hondo4life

hondo4life

Feb 29, 2016
    SC
    I have them on my fretless 5-string J.
    I love how they feel, I find the tone is balanced and consistent, and they look sweet. I would buy them again.

5. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

I like DR strings I just didn't think the coateds were my thing. Some folks swear by them, just not me. I also like the sound of fresh strings. I would suggest literally anything out of the DR lineup, I'm not that picky.

6. JustForSport

JustForSport

Nov 17, 2011
    DR DragonSkins are S/S K3 coated, the rest are NPS Sunbeams K3 coated.

7. Andrew Welsh

Andrew Welsh

Jun 23, 2015
    Thanks for the info,
    I think I'll give em a try. The worst could happen is I'll have wasted 30 bucks.

8. Adienn7

Adienn7

Jan 26, 2007
    I've played them for many years.. the Light one, Mediums, and tapered heavy ones. red- white- Black.. they are my go to string.. I also like Roto sound black Nylons.. I been wanting to play nexus strings.. but honestly I just don't go through string the often.. And I hit hard and slap the poopie out of them..

9. I presently use DR Neons (pink, thank you) on my Stingray.

This is a big switch for me as up until now the Ray has only seen roundwounds — Rotos &c, which I changed quite frequently to maintain the fresh string "zing". That experience, though, was well into the last century.

The coated strings are a different feel under my fingertips, and pleasantly so. I find them responsive to the touch, and preserve the 'Ray's distinctive voicing. The coated strings feel to my ear (and fingers) a happy medium between the rounds and flats. Oh and the neon is rockin' :hyper:

10. Andrew Welsh

Andrew Welsh

Jun 23, 2015
    After trying these strings I found that they were great! The feel they have is my favourite feature and they have just the right amount of brightness.