1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Dr legend (w/ pics)

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by jamersonburton, Oct 6, 2013.

1. jamersonburton

jamersonburton

Jul 22, 2011
    So these arr hex core flats.

When i tried to string em, i didnt have wire/string cutters and this happened. Is it okay?

Attached Files:

2. dedpool1052

dedpool1052

Jan 10, 2011
    Seattle, WA
    legends are round-cores, not hex. they are essentially the flatwound version of hibeams. the outermost wrap going around the tuner is common with DRs on 34" topload basses as they have a wrap length of 38". if the string holds tuning and sounds fine, i wouldnt even worry.

3. Mikhail1

Mikhail1

Apr 8, 2008
    GHS strings do the same thing. It won't hurt anything, don't even worry about it.

4. SLaPiNFuNK

SLaPiNFuNK Commercial User

Jul 28, 2006
    LA California
    Owner: BassStringsOnline.com
    If it hasn't broken yet it is not going to. Usually if this is going to be a problem it is before the string is even brought up to tension. You should be fine with those like that.

Even if you did cut the strings it would have still been like that as the winding length on these flats is 38"

5. madbassplaya

madbassplaya

Dec 28, 2007
    This guy knows.

6. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    They arr not. :smug:

MM

7. jamersonburton

jamersonburton

Jul 22, 2011
    It says on the package dr legends are hex and then that the highbeam rounds are roundcore.
    Ill get a pic soon enough.

8. dedpool1052

dedpool1052

Jan 10, 2011
    Seattle, WA
    there must be some kind of mistake or misprint. they even say round core on their website.

9. jamersonburton

jamersonburton

Jul 22, 2011
    Here.

Attached Files:

10. SLaPiNFuNK

SLaPiNFuNK Commercial User

Jul 28, 2006
    LA California
    Owner: BassStringsOnline.com
    If you look down where the core loops around the ball end, you can see that they have a round core.

That also describes a "Polished" string not a "Flat Wound". The description even says "Round Wound". I think they are packaging that is old...

Most of the information on the back is generic... But if you remove that sticker that the music store so kindly stuck on, it will say "upon a round core"

But again, that isn't exactly describing the strings in the FL-45 Legends Flatwound box...

11. bassman10096

bassman10096 Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2004
    MKE
    I just tried Legends for first time last week. I noticed the silk issue, but based on the way the strings are wound, there shouldn't be any issue.

I did notice something as I was shopping online: If my eyes don't deceive, it seems like DR might have some inconsistency in their packaging of the Legends - in some website pix they show the Legend-labeled package, while others seem to be showing HiBeam labels w Legend details. FWIW

12. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    So? How do you like them?

Details please... :meh:

MM

13. jamersonburton

jamersonburton

Jul 22, 2011
    Similar to ghs flats imo. Tonally a bit imbalanced but that hopefully will settle in over time.

14. Rooster009

Rooster009

Feb 27, 2008
    I've been using them on several of my basses for about 2 years now. They settle in very nicely. Great feel and sound to them. Much much better than labellas