1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

DR Lo Rider Nickels are the bomb!!!

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Marley's Ghost, Apr 20, 2009.

1. Marley's Ghost

Marley's Ghost Gold Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    Just slapped a medium set on my Bongo 5, and.....damn....even new they sound good. :cool: Can't wait until they are broken in. The Low B is the best matched of any set I have played.

2. Surly

Surly

Feb 2, 2007
    South Florida
    My favorite string for my P-bass.

3. Holy War

Holy War

Sep 18, 2008
    VA Beach
    tell me your avatar is from the Mario movie lol

4. zenrad

zenrad Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2009
    Bergen County, NJ
    Looks like Max Headroom to me.

5. Slax

Slax

Nov 5, 2007
    Long Island, NY
    +1 Definitely is.

I just threw these on my SX jazz and loving them also! :D

6. Marley's Ghost

Marley's Ghost Gold Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    Max Headroom it is!

7. Brick Top

Brick Top

Dec 7, 2008
    Michigan
    Max was great in the Art of Noise video back in the 80's. I think it was Paranoimia. Yup...just checked out my vinyl collection.

I think the guys name was Matt Furer...or something to that effect. A Canadian if I remember correctly. He was also the neighbor in Honey I shrunk the kids.

Cheers,
    BT

8. afroman

afroman Supporting Member

Aug 31, 2000
    Austin, TX
    +1

9. I need to try these someday. I'm a big fan of the Sunbeams, but I think the extra stiffness of the Lo Riders' hex core might be a good thing.

10. WildTrkey

WildTrkey Banned

Mar 1, 2009
    Awesome strings, great tone. Just played a show on Friday with a set on my Precision. I also have them on my jazz but I think I may be switching to a heavier gauge Sunbeam instead....oddly enough these strings are starting to feel like steels after some breaking in. Weird. And I hate steel. The tone is awesome though and so is the tension.

11. ursa major

ursa major Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2008
    Florida
    Have them on a 08 pbass and love them but i still like sunbeams better

12. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

I have them on my Alleva LG (the alder/RW 60's thing), and I really like them. They put the treble/upper mids right where they should be for a more 'old school' bass voicing. I totally dig the Hi Beam steels for my more 'modern' voiced basses, the the Lo Rider Nickels are the bomb for more mellow voiced instruments. Nice tension and feel also.

13. Ryan Mohr

Ryan Mohr

Oct 23, 2007
    I too am a pleased user, I have them on my Fender Classic '60s Jazz.

14. pdbass

pdbass

Jan 2, 2007
    Pittsburgh
    I love them to death on my Fodera Emperor 5. The tightness, the edge to the sound. I tried Sunbeams for a sec, but I have a problem with strings that die a 'horrible death'. Sunbeams are totally different strings after a couple of gigs. Nickel Lo Riders are a 'super pizz' string for me. Grooves, chords, solos, whatever--and they sound great for a few weeks.

15. +1

Fender Jazz 5... stiffer than the suns... less bright than the hi-beams... but with some good mid growl. Awesome strings!!!!