1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

DR Lo-Riders 5 string sets - what a change!

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by sb69coupe, Apr 11, 2006.

1. sb69coupe

sb69coupe

Aug 9, 2004
    Raleigh NC
    I just replaced the stock strings that came on my new Lakland Darryl Jones 5 string. As far as I know, they were standard Lakland roundwounds, and they were really low tension. I had to lay off and play quite lightly to avoid fret buzz on the B and E strings. So, on go the Lo-Riders. I had to make a few bridge adjustments for intonation, and to set the saddle height on the B string. The original strings were a taper core B, while the Lo-Riders are not.

All I can say is "wow". No more fret buzz or warbling notes on the low B. The increased tension feels so much better for my playing style and I absolutely love the feel of these strings. I've been playing Lo-Riders on all my 4 strings for a couple years now, and I can honestly say that they are the only brand of strings that will go on my new 5 string as well.

2. snowdan

snowdan

Feb 27, 2006
    which gauges exactly do you play?

3. Larry99

Larry99

Aug 17, 2005
    Philadelphia, PA
    Are you stringing through the body with the Lo Riders on your Lakland?

I heard that all DR sets are long enough to string thru body on Lakland 35" basses ..just trying to verify. I have a JO5 and I've only used the "Long Necks" so far.

4. sb69coupe

sb69coupe

Aug 9, 2004
    Raleigh NC
    I'm using the 45-105 gauge set with the 125 low B. Yes, I am stringing through the body and there is plenty of string length, I even had to snip around 4 inches off the B and G strings.

5. snowdan

snowdan

Feb 27, 2006
    would you go for 130 next time? i could get a 6string set with either 125 or 130.

6. sb69coupe

sb69coupe

Aug 9, 2004
    Raleigh NC
    I don't think I would go with the 130. At first I was really worried given the low tension on the stock strings, but once I put the Lo-Riders on all concerns were gone. The 125 B has plenty of tension and doesn't buzz for me at all. I have the bass set up with medium low action and very little relief in the neck, FWIW.

7. Mrdak

Mrdak uber bass geek baby!

Feb 1, 2006
    Middle GA
    This is exactly what I was hoping to find.... A string that would hopefully not buzz on my DJ 5. The Lakland stainless that are on here are driving me nuts with the buzzing,, My bass is like 2 days old for me, and these strings make so much noise all over the place, I was thinking about having it set up somewhere. The Low riders are that much quieter? Are they nickel wound? and did it make much of a difference on the rest of the strings?
    or just the E and B.....