DR Lo Riders, complaints?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by bassman040, Dec 15, 2005.

1. About a week ago, I sent my MIJ P-Bass to the local bass shop to be set up, and I requested that a set of DR Lo Riders be put on. When the bass came out of the shop, the strings sounded really awesome, I could hear the brightness and the 'zing' coming out with every slap or play, i was impressed.

One of the reasons I chose DR was due to many claims by other players that they last way longer than other strings. After a week of conservative playing which ended with a gig with loud music (where you don't hear or feel the 'zing'), the strings sound pretty dead to me already. It was very frustrating, there were 2 possibilities to this:

1) the guys at the shop could've put on some crap/cheap strings that don't last at all. could anyone describe the external features of DR Lo Riders to identify them?
    2) 'lasting long' as described on the DR website doesn't mean keeping the 'zing' brightness new strings have. maybe it means not breaking?

Plz help me out!!!
  2. Luckydog

Luckydog Supporting Member

Dec 25, 1999
    The Loriders I used (both nickel and SS) had no silk. I used nickel on my Pbass for sometime, thinking they were pretty good. I don;t like bright zing. But I long since gone to other strings. PS- I'm sure you meant no harm, but Japanese is a more PC term.
  3. Nova

Apr 19, 2002
    Williamstown, WV
    I use nothing but Lo-Riders, and all 3 of my basses have them. In my experience, the long lasting thing has nothing to do with breaking, but mine keep the "zingy" brightness longer than any other type of strings I've tried.
  4. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    All strings settle in and loose some zing after a few days. DRs will keep *that* next sound longer than any other string I've tried. High beams even more so than lo riders. Thats the sound I like.

I have never found a way to keep that ultra-zing sound other than changing strings every few days. If you like bright, you could look into getting a brigter sounding bass, like a stingray. P-basses are supposed to sound a little dark.
  5. FireAarro

Aug 8, 2004
    When I tried Lo-Riders on my Stingray5 they didn't seem like very zingy strings to begin with at all.
  6. I use lo riders.. I think the pack I got was a dud because they were dead in 5 days.. I bioled them and they were zingy for 3 weeks :)
  7. DavePlaysBass

Mar 31, 2004
    I have two experiences with Lo Riders, one steel and one nickel.

The nickels I remember best and they were very subdued when new. I remember they did not have much of a zing compared to the month old DA XLs they were replacing.

As for the steel ones, I do not remember how long they lasted. But when the died, they were deader than a door nail.

Lo Riders are supposed to be a little less zingy than Hi Beams. If you want zing, Hi Beams may be the way to go.

8. Metal Mitch

Metal Mitch

Jul 14, 2003
    I used Lo-Riders for over 10 years and IME they do last longer than any other string. Not zingy, but punchy with a certain "sumpin sumpin" in the mids that no other string has. They're also stiffer, and don't eat your frets or your fingertips.

The only reason I switched is they seem to have lost the capability to make a decent low B string. *shrug* I'm sure their 4-string sets are still excellent.
  9. bassisgood

Dec 19, 2005
    I would say its the pickups on your bass, they are weak and dull.
    I have honestly never played a p-bass(as common and great as they are claimed) That sounded full of life. :bag: Some people like that sound but I personally dont hear anything with it. Why do fender define what a guitar and bass should be?(all the copies out there) Switch to a bright bass like a modulus with a graphite neck with double humbuckers. Thats what I would call going from Pinto to Porsche in five seconds, no I am getting outa here before I get myself thwacked by the Fenderites. :ninja:
    I suppose I have my pref, but if you are running a p-bass bright is one thing that you just cant have, unless you tweak it!
  10. +1 Exactly
  11. zac2944

zac2944 Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2004
    Rochester, NY

I used Lo Riders for a few years because I felt they produced a more complex midrange that added a distinct growl. Also, they would keep that same tone for a long time. I was playing a lot of fretless at the time and they really worked for me.

They never did keep that "new sting" zingyness. I have never found a string to do this for very long. I found Elixers best for this.