1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

DR Lo-riders: Right for me?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by ikickuintheballs, Oct 27, 2005.

1. Hey guys. I've been neglecting my bass because of school, and I haven't bought strings in a very long time (over 2 years!). I've been searching around and read a bunch of ppl saying the Lo-riders are nice for rock (not heavy metal, just like Metallica, Tool, Alice in Chains, and Chevelle), but they advertise them saying they're the best for fretless. Will they have a nice warm, full tone even with my Warwick Corvette STD 5-string? I'm sorry if this seems dumb, I'm just so out-of-touch with my bass. :( Thanks a lot! :D

BTW, this is going through my Hartke 3500 into an Aguilar 112 is this makes any difference.. lol. Thanks :D

2. Yeah, I think so. Hi-Beams (which I use) have a brighter tone (they're steel), but if you can get your hands on a set of heavy-guage Hi-Beams, you might want those for a really, really, really growly, deep, rock tone. They also mellow out with age, and are really warm with treble pot rolled back. I dunno, but I like them.

3. That sounds exactly what I'm going for. I'll go grab a set of those. Thanks for the suggestion. :D

4. Sweet. Let us know if those work out for you. I've had mine for about 8 months now, and I still like them (good for slapping, too).

5. I just got them in today. I'm getting my bass setup, so I'll let you guys know my opinions on these when I get my bass back.

BTW- I couldn't find heavy, so I got mediums. They're the same size as what I have now. Is there a big difference in sound with the smaller string?

6. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Probably just a little more zingy. Mostly the difference is in the feel.

7. I just got my bass back with these installed. They're awesome. Nice full tone. The balance string-to-string is crazy. I'd recommend these to anyone. :D :bassist:

8. Do it! Or he'll kickuintheballs! :p

9. LMAO!! :D