DR. Lo-Riders, specific comments and questions

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Groovecenter, Mar 20, 2004.

1. Ok, I have Lo-Riders Stainless steel on my warmoth five. The feel of the strings is great, they feel stiffer, which is perfect for my 34" scale B and I even like the feel better on the E. I actually noticed a difference and just wanted to see if other Lo-Rider users noticed the stiffer feel.

Secondly, when I strung em up and plugged in, I noticed a more pronounced midrange that I didn't really like all that much. It was probably around the 600k mark, it sounds a little more cutting but soloed can be burpy. Anyone else notice this?

Also, if you have noticed this midrange bump, is it something all stainless steels have, or is it specific to Lo-Riders?

Do the Nickel Lo-Riders have the same stiff feel to them? (Im a nickel guy and will go back on my next set, so I need some info) Soundwise are they a little less agressive in the upper mids?

Thanks- G-center
  2. Try High Beams.

They aren't as mid rangey. But a bit more clearer at the same time, and they are easier on your hands.
  3. Hmmm, I was saying in my original post that I LIKED the stiffer feel of the Lo-Riders. My main question I suppose was: Do Nickel Lo-Riders offer the same feel without the mid rangey-ness?
  4. Yes!!! I custom ordered some nickle lowriders heaviest gauge thay had just for a specific tuning down low and at any tuning the tight tension is there. I cant A/B the mid range thing just because well... i cant and being on a stingray Ive already got a standout sound to begin with. But I like them very much but I would maybe step down a minro step in gauge when going to lowriders.. that had ALOT of tension almost to the point of freaking me out at standard tuning with monster gauges and a raw neck on a stingray. On my spector they were never an issue most rock solid wood ive ever owned.
  5. jim primate

jim primate bass guitarist.

i liked the midrange of the lo-riders, i didn't like the hex core though. made 'em wear out pretty quick, still lasted longer than cold steels though. high beams are good i use them now. i dig 'em. never tried the nickel sunbeams.
  6. RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    Hows the tension of Hi beams compared to Low riders?
  7. fortress1w

fortress1w Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2003
    Burlington, VT
    Do the Nickels!!

I have been playing Nickel Lo Riders for 5 years now. Sometimes I might try out different strings since the Lo Riders are so hard to find in nickel. But I always go back to those nickel funksters. They are very nice on my 4 str Warwick. I prefer .045 .065 .080 .100. gauges.
  8. 5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    I love my stainless lo-riders. I use them on my Spector and I really like the midrange. Last set I had was on for 6 or 7 months. :D Lo-riders are pretty much slap'n'tap dream string due to the stiffness and midrange quality.
  9. In an effort to find "my string" over the last few months, I've spent a couple hundred dollars on a various gauges/styles of the following strings mfgs: GHS, EB, DA, Elixir, TI, & DR. Without a doubt, the DR's stand out above the rest. I've settled on Elixir Nanoweb (until they die), DR Hi-Beam,
    and DR Sunbeam (I have discarded others after only a couple hours of use). If you say you're a nickel guy, I highly recommend the Sunbeams . . .very similar to hi-beams in terms of tension & sound but much nicer in feel. I can EQ both to sound very similar but the Sunbeams have a more neutral sound I prefer (not as bright as hi-beams but still offer plenty of brightness). Anyway, I would say that Sunbeams have a mellower tone without as much mid/hi-end as other DR's. - they are my top pick (although I did not try nickel lo-beams). Hopefully there is enough tension for you. I would also try Lo-beam nickels. Good luck.
  10. Acepiloto

Aug 25, 2000
    I thought I saw someone post about how they eat frets/fingerboards. I was just wondering about that, I've used DR lo-riders for a while, and have noticed that my Lakland 55-01 sounds a bit duller, not bad, kind of warmer imo.

11. Edwcdc

Edwcdc I call shotgun!

Jul 21, 2003
    Columbia MD USA
    I had a set of lowriders on for one set and had to put my old strings back on. They were just too stiff. I did keep the B string from the lowriders on though for the tension. I wish I could buy Highbeams with a low rider B string.
  12. Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    We are all so different. That stiffness you describe is exactly what I love about these things!

Keep groovin'
  13. RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    Strings are just really broke in, same set of strings I assume? They lose the bite after a while mostly in the highs and a little mids. Just change them if you don't like it, it's not from wear. Check your fretboard see if there are any grooves from the strings.
  14. RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    After about 30 hours of playing (prolly less) the string gets broken in and the tension eases up a bit and becomes more flexable, very highbeamesque. The tension I feel are about the same.
  15. Over time, all roundwounds will take their toll on frets & fingerboards. Nickel is a bit softer than stainless steel and may delay the inevitable.
  16. RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    I noticed too the wider the frets on the neck it seems it gets wore faster due to what I feel is the wider the frets the more contact the string has on the fret board. I could be wrong but my Spector with rosewood which I play all the time has no wear, my Rickenbacher which is also rosewood has a lot of wear and by looking I see the string has more contact on the fretboard in the exadt area wear the wear is. :meh:
  17. RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    Sorry for my bad punctuation above, I was in a hurry.
  18. I agree. I've had both Hi-Beams and Lo-riders on my SKB3006 and the hi beams felt ALOT more loose...until i broke in the lo-riders. The lo-riders don't retain the really hefty stiffness for more than a month or two of average playing. i ABSOLUTELY LOVE the tension on these babies, not too loose, not too tight, just right :D
  19. I just got my Lo-Riders yesterday in the mail. Soon as I had them set up I noticed the tention and midrange. I can't say abything bad about them except they feel rougher on the fingers. I do not mind this at all though. These strings also gave my bass a little more bite, and even more after tweeking with my EQ on my Bassman amp. I had to boost the mids more because the strings gave my E string so much more definition. I love'em :D
  20. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000
    Must be an SKB-thang :D

I've got Stainless Lo-Riders on my SKB as well. I had Larry Morgan throw a pair on there whenever I bought it, and so far I like them really well. They're not as bright as the Sadowsky stainless strings I just put on my MIM Jazz 5, but overall I LOVE these things. I can't comment on the tension because these are the only string I've had on my new Roscoe as of yet. I do know one thing---the B string on that Roscoe *SINGS*!!! I hear that it's the Roscoe, but I've also heard that Lo-Riders are extremely tight. Either way, I like it :d