DR Lo Riders (steel)

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by CrawlingEye, Jun 27, 2001.

1. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    I just got some DR Lo Riders, on recommendation from here.

I absolutely LOVE them. I waited 'til a week after I got them, so my opinion wouldn't be premature. Although, since I haven't played Steel strings in so long, I had to get used to them, which took like 2 days or so. I'm really liking them. Not too bright, not too warm... I put them on my Ibanez SR800LE. It actually doesn't sound so *thin* anymore.

Whoever suggested I got them, thanks.

hahaha, I edited this because I noticed it was post "666" and I started laughing hysterically. hahahaha
  2. brewer9

Jul 5, 2000
    I used to use DR Hi Beams and loved them, but found that their quality went down hill recently. They were breaking far too frequently and at a different part of the string than is normal. So I stopped using them.

I would be interested again, based on your comments, to think that maybe the Low Riders are worthwhile.

Your post #666 makes them Strings from the Devil.
  3. *groundskeeper willy on*

ah warned ye! didn' ah warn ye?! those strings were forged by lucifer 'imself!

groundskeeper willy off*

thanks for the update, c-eye. i'm definitely gonna try 'em out.
  4. seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    Lo Riders are my favorite all around string, love 'em.
  5. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

brewer - Did you email DR about this to see if others are having the problem?

I had a problem with a set of DR's, (the G just seemed to go dead), and let them know not because I wanted them to refund my money or whatever, but I liked the strings and didn't want to experience the problem in the next set I bought. Since their process involves human hands, they admitted it could have to do with the wrapping. Instead of sending me a new G, they sent me a new set at no charge.

They are very proud of what they make.
  6. rsautrey

rsautrey Banned

Jul 27, 2000
    I had dead E and A strings in a set of Stainless Lo-Riders and E-mailed DR and they sent a whole set free of charge.
  7. brewer9

Jul 5, 2000
    Sure did. I wrote a letter and even included one of the broken strings. I heard nothing back from them. I had been a DR user for about 10 years and change my strings monthly. They lost a good customer.
  8. Whoa! I just bought a set today. They RULE! I really love the .045 G, as opposed to the .050. They're great for slapping, finger style and picking. I never used steels before, but I'm lovin them. Do they make Lo-riders in nickle??

P.S. There's a typo on my pack, it says "Stailess steel"
  9. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    45? Mine are the 40-100 set. I really like 'em a lot. They're not the slightest bit loose, like I said... The switch from nickel to steel kinda was an ache on my fingers for the first few days, but now it's awesome.
  10. rickbass

That's a nasty break. Maybe it's the way you said it or you just happened to get a temp. that day. Rsautrey and me are silver-tongued devils. :D
  11. brewer9

Jul 5, 2000
    Ha ha, I'll have you write my letter next time. Actually, I didnt ask them for anything. I was jjust FYIing them about the situation because I had been happy with their strings for so long that I thought they would want to know that this problem was cropping up all of a sudden. Oh well.
  12. to answer fleabass' question, yes, they do make them in nickel. They are a bit less bright, but they have more warmth and booty.

13. What's a dead string? forgive me: i'm somewhat new... =)
  14. rickbass

Your ears will tell you, or should tell you. A dead string sounds dull, lifeless, and lacks output/volume and sustain compared to the other strings, same as an old string that's been on your instrument too long.

Often what happens is the interior windings under the surface of the string have loosened or bound up on each other around the core.
  15. KB

Jan 13, 2000
    Chapel Hill, NC
    I recommend the DR Sunbeams. I use them on my Carvin and they fit the bass perfectly. I have heard them described as having a sound between Lo-Riders and Hi-Beams (I don't know as I have never played those strings and I am not a big fan on steel strings - I like the texture and sound of nickel better (well nickel plated)). I don't know that as many people use the sunbeams, but I really like them.

16. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    While there's nothing like a DR steel string, there's NOTHING like a DR nickel string...
  17. Tomi

Dec 4, 2000
    Tokyo, Japan
    I have just started to use Dr. Lo-Riders (0.110-0.050) on my fretless Tune and I really like them. They are even better (for me) than Dr. Sunbeams, which I tried before.
    I used Dr. Lo-Riders (0.105-0.045) on my fretted Fender P-bass and I didn't disappointed either. :D
  18. seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    Since I first started using Lo Riders, I have always recommended them to others, wonderful string.