1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

DR Lo-Riders tension

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Pitsaras, Oct 24, 2013.

1. Pitsaras

Pitsaras

Dec 26, 2011
    how can i find out the difference in tension between nickel (nmh-45) and stainless steel lo-riders??? (nh-45)

2. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    As far as I know the only string company that publishes string tension is D'addario. But my guess is that the nickel and steel loriders have about the same tension.

3. JonnyAngle

JonnyAngle Dropping Acid Pedal Etching .com Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 24, 2008
    Maple Grove, MN
    DroppingAcidPedalEtching.com
    I think the big difference is in the hex core, not the material that is would around it.
    Bassstringsonline.com should be able to help you out.

4. StevieMac

StevieMac

Mar 17, 2005
    Vancouver, BC
    I've never felt a difference in tension based on just nickel or steel outer wraps. String construction and gauge are the biggest factors in tension IME.

5. Pitsaras

Pitsaras

Dec 26, 2011
    so for dgcf (whole step down) tuning on a rick scale (33 1/4) should i get the 50-110 hi beams (round core) or the lo riders (hex core) ?

6. Systolic

Systolic Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2009
    Madison,Wisconsin
    Well they are quite different tone wise. Hi Beams are really scooped and the Lo Riders have very present mids. So it depends on the application IMHO.

7. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
  8. StevieMac

StevieMac

Mar 17, 2005
    Vancouver, BC
    If tension is the primary concern hex core will have more tension than round core.

9. Pitsaras

Pitsaras

Dec 26, 2011
    primary concern is the combination of gauge and core since my scale is shorter than "regular". i need low action for fast playing and no fret buzz

10. JustForSport

JustForSport

Nov 17, 2011
    Round-cores are already more flexible (at same gauge and tension) than hex-cored strings, and down-tuning a whole step will result in even more excursion, so it'll be more difficult to play with low action using round-cores in your situation.
    Hex-cores at heavy gauge especially with short scale should work better, I'd think.

11. Chrisk-K

Chrisk-K

Jan 20, 2010
    Maryland, USA
    Lo-Riders have higher tension than Hi-Beams.

12. Britbonic

Britbonic Supporting Member

Jun 20, 2002
    San Francisco, CA
    Pretty sure it's the core more than the wrap that determines the tension. I'm a pretty regular DR user. Used Sunbeams for years and lately have been running DR Lo Rider Nickels. Sound wise, they are very much like the Sunbeams. Feel wise, they have a little more tension which is what I was after. Happy so far.