Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

DR lo-riders

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by fenderbluesdude, Mar 20, 2005.

1. well since i got my new bass (american fender jazz) i tried new strings, i ended up likeing dr lo-rider the stainless steel ones, but they break so often unlike my old strings (Ernie Ball nickels) could any body give me some brand of stainless steel strings that wont break. i think another possability would be that i am putting the strings thru the body, which make the strings bend much more than thru the bridge.

2. Lowtonejoe

Lowtonejoe Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Richland, WA
    WoW!

I have had a set of Low Riders on my P for a few years (yes, years, they sound better that way) now with absolutely zero problems. But then I string through the bridge and not the body. Who needs sustain, I'm a bass player.

I also used D'Adarrio Slowounds for about 10 years with no problems. I really liked them too.

:D

Joe.

3. yea i think the problem is that i am stringing my bass thru-body instead of through birdge.

4. Schwinn

Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    hmm...maybe I'm a pansy but I've never broken a string. How do you do that?

5. PunkerTrav

PunkerTrav

Jul 18, 2001
    Canada & USA
    +1. I had lo-riders on my bass for roughly a year and iddn't run into any problems. I really liked those strings.

6. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    I have 6 or 7 Fenders strung this way, I play the thump and pop style alot and have NEVER broke a string! I say either you are playing too hard or your bridge has a burr in the hole where the string goes thru the bridge. I'm more likely to believe it's your aggressive playing that's breaking the string fore I have been playing since 1971 and have only broken 1 string and that was while tuning my bass!

7. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

+1 I just strung my Jazz with DR Low Riders. I've been playing about as long as pyrohr and have never broken a string. I agree it's either a bridge problem or aggresive playing.

8. FUNKonthewall

FUNKonthewall Nailing The Groove

Sep 29, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    Endorsing: Fodera Guitars, Aguilar Amps, Dunlop/MXR Accessories
    +1. I string my Kubicki with nickel-plated Lo-Riders. The only thing that gets me is that I have to special order them... :meh: But, I still love the tone and feel of the strings, so it's worth it.

9. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Sounds like you have a sharp edge on your bridge or something.