Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

DR Lo Riders

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by embellisher, Jan 2, 2002.

1. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I wasn't real happy with the way my Geddy Lee Jazz was sounding compared to my other basses, so I bought a set of these and slapped them on there. Man! Great sounding strings, and very balanced. First DR's I have ever bought.

Who else uses these? Do they really last longer than most strings?

2. I always swear by Dr's on my Jazz.

3. Boppingtheory

Boppingtheory

Aug 27, 2001
    Italy
    They really last longer than most strings and passing the time they become even better.

4. i just got some new fender strings they didn't have any DR in the store i will check into the lowriders thanx

5. For what I do there's the best strings I've used. They seem to last okay too ;)

allan

6. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    I have been using the Lowriders 45-105 for several years. I think that they sound great, and they last the longest of any roundwound that I have tried.

7. BigBohn

BigBohn

Sep 29, 2001
    WPB, Florida
    Cool. I've had Hi-Beams on my 5'er for awhile now and they're nice and all, but maybe alittle too bright, especially in their old age. Sure, it was nice having that new string click while I was slapping with them right when I put them on, but now its just getting old. I need to put some more bass in my sound, and less treble. The Lo-Riders, from the reports I've heard, seem to do that. Something about the hex-core that makes them have great tension and more bass warmth. I will definitely check them out very soon.:)

8. bizzaro

bizzaro

Aug 21, 2000
    Vermont
    Love low riders. By far my favorite String. And they seem to last forever.:D

9. seamus

seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    Jersey
    Love em, they're awesome on a Jazz. I like stainless 45's.

The longevity of Lo Riders is tops among the better stainless rounds IMO.

10. I think all DR strings kick. I use High Beams on my Yamaha, and they get a great slap tone. Low Riders are great for less of that heavy-treble sound. I think Bakithi Kumalo uses them, and that guy has a great sound...

11. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    Lo-Riders (stainless) are the only strings I use! After I tried them for the first time, I decided that I'm not using any other strings!
    I got about 4 months out of my last set. I just put a new set on my 5-string on New Year's Day. Now, I'll see how long this set lasts...:)

12. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Upon my next string change, Lo-Riders will be all I use. Nickels for some, stainless for others.

13. I found the LR had more mids and/or less treble bite then the HB. They also feel a bit stiffer (same gauge). Both sound great for slap and fingerstyle. The Fat Beams seemed like exaggerated LR: prodigious mids and very thick. Nice but I prefer the others.

14. KB

KB

Jan 13, 2000
    Chapel Hill, NC
    Sunbeams are very nice too. Nickel plated steel. Kind of like hi-beams but with more lows and warmth due to the nickel. Round core so very flexible. They last a long time and sound really good on my Carvin (I use the Med-light gauge .045-.100). I use TI Powerbass on my L-2000 and they have a great lifespan and a really nice balanced sound. They are a little more expensive, but I plan to stick with them for the L-2000 as they last longer.

-KB

15. I just got a set of DR lowriders to try out i will have 3 gigs this weekend to try them out so far practicin with them they feel different to touch almost like I need to eat something real greasy to be able to move around is that the feel of these strings i am thinkin once i break them in they will feel better always lookin for some good advice so far they sound good

16. seamus

seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    Jersey
    Honestly, LR's are about as smooth a stainless round as you'll find out there.

However, if they feel a bit rough to you, I think they make stuff you can put on the strings to help glide across them easier. I've never used anything like that myself, but I'm sure I've seen something like it in the stores.

17. there more comfortable now that i practce with them they got nice sound thanks embellisher for startin this thread got a lot of good out of it.
    thnks to you to seamus hey where playin in cheery hill sat. night if its near you come on out

18. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Love 'em. Haven't used them in a while but I'll be putting a set on a recent model AmJazz soon.

19. seamus

seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    Jersey
    really? cherry hill?

that's just a couple mintes up 70 for me

where yall playin?

**edit**

doh! I found it on your band page hehe

never been to the place before, but if I can stop by, I'll be sure to check yaz out! :)

20. I put a pair up on my bass a while ago, the lowmid emphasis is really good for fingerstyle... I loved their tone and they remain the best pair of strings I've ever used. I'm looking into a pair of fat beams or high beams to try out, I want that perfect sound for slap, fingerstyle and soloing. Something that lets me play chords...