Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Dr Longnecks

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Matthew Bryson, Sep 26, 2002.

1. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    Are DR Longnecks taper wound?

2. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    yep....hence the name ;) pretty good strings, too, btw...i strung a couple sets on the thumb through neck 4 stringer i used to have. sounded good and lasted a long time.

3. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    Thanks neptoon...I'm going to go and buy some and re-string tonight.
    Another question - I copied this from another thread - somebody says: . "...as you can't cut bass strings anywhere except in the silked core end. "

What does that mean? I always cut a little off the ends of my strings so they fit right - is that bad?

4. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    negative, ghost rider...you shouldn't have more than three or four wraps on the posts, or at the very least they shouldn't be wrapped around the bottom in a bird's nest...the reason for having the wraps is to have downward pressure on the nut...besides, not all strings have silks. silks are great for not leaving horrible scars on your tuning pegs...and maybe they're good for keeping the windings tight on the string itself. and some of them are even kinda cute-slowounds ;) cut your strings to fit and you should be good...just don't cut them too short! :eek: as to what someone else said...i'm really not sure that even makes sense out of context..."silked core end?" i'm not sure what that means, either. good luck, man. i hope you dig the longnecks.

5. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    Thanks again Neptoon. I should be happy, haven't had any new strings in a long time and I've never had a low B that fit right (had to pull super hard to get it into the bridge slot - most brands won't fit on at all in a 125) This will be good - might even help intonation. Maybe I'll even be able to play an E at the 5th fret! :eek:

6. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    i would recommend getting your bass set up with the new strings after they've been on a few days and had a chance to stretch a little. a good set up makes a world of difference. i just noticed you were from seattle...i'm just across the pond in silverdale, stationed at sub base bangor.

7. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    i have a friend with an edb 5 string and he had a similar problem with the bridge slot. he was using labella super steps which sound pretty good, too. they're an alternative to the longnecks, as are sr2000's and slowounds, if you're into nickel strings. these are all really good strings, but some are a little easier on the budget than others. ;)

8. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    After A few days with the longnecks on I gotta say I like 'em. I did have about a one year old DR roundwound on the low B and about six month old Ernie Balls on the top four. My B string is much more playable than it's ever been...even downright slapable!
    Neptoon was right, I had to make some adjustments after the change and I may tweek things a bit more as the strings settle down. I am digging the sound I'm getting - I might even have to start changing strings regular like!
    Neptoon - I put Seattle on the profile because thats where I'm at when I'm on the computer (at work) I live in Kent - still pretty close. Does your band ever play gigs anywhere local? (this side of the water maybe?) I'm always looking to hear some good new sounds.

9. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    we aren't over there yet...we're trying to develop a following over here at the moment. i'll let everyone know if we make it to the other side. i'm glad you dig the dr's.